GT Zaskar 96 Devon

trickyknott

Dirt Disciple
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joA5j5P7dA8&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Just introducing my GT Zaskar 1996 rebuild, it was completed 9 months ago but with moving down to Devon it never got posted. It now has Marzocchi forks and snow studs which unfortunately didn't get used this winter! It's so light and responsive, the 1x10 setup with Hope expander is fantastic and makes it so fast off the line.

Controls
Hope Headset 1 1/8th purple (New Oct 2014)
Funn Enduro 50mm stem (New Oct2014)
Cromag Fubar OSX riser bar purple
Nukeproof Electron Evo Pedals
Superstar grips half flange purple and green lock ons(New Oct 2014)
100mm Marzocchi Corsa Supperleggera (excellent condition, very light air fork for disk only), and spare lightweight rigid fork for V and disk brake.
Hope 31.8mm seat clamp
Thomson 27.0 seat-post (New Oct 2014)
Charge Spoon saddle (Leisure Lakes ltd edition- green trim 2015)

XT Groupset
Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech, Shimano Saint M820 1x10 Speed Trigger Shifter (March 2015)
XT M770 crank and BLACK by Absoluteblack Narrow Wide Oval Single Chainring (34t- 2015)
Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette & Hope TRex expander sprocket (2015)
XT BB70 (New Dec 2014)
XT M775 front hydraulic brake (mineral oil) with Shimano SLX SM RT61 160mm Rotor
XT T780 rear V brake (New Oct 2014) and XT lever
XT HG93 chain (New Dec 2014)
XTR PTFE Gear cables (2015)
Nukeproof Electron Evo Pedals

Wheels & Tyres
XT M756 front disk hub and skewer with Mavic XM319 Rim Front Wheel with XM317 rear Schwalbe ice spike tyres, and a set of Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo (front) and a Nobby Nic (performance) rear. (all new Jan 2015)

Re: GT Zaskar 94 Devon

nice ride, but not very classic and i'm quite sure the frame wasn't made '94 as it has features (thick downtube and dropouts) that look like '96/7.
just have a look at the serial (left dropout). the first 4 numbers tell you production month and year. happy trails.

That "Biopace" front sprocket is very classic :LOL:

But I like it anyhow. Modern Parts on old frames. How did you find a front fork that youldn't be too long for the old geometry frame?

Love Zaskars (although I'm quite biased!) :D I think that the '94 had the lug under the top tube rather than the downtube; think it came on the downtube around '96. tbh I prefer it on the downtube though (again, heavily biased). :)

Whatever the year, doesn't look bad with all that modern kit on. :) Stands up nicely - good it's being well ridden as well! :)

Re:

Thanks for the replies, I got the 94 date from the serial number but will get in the garage recheck and post it so you can let me know. When I got it originally it was horrible, there were a few original components but over the years it had a horrible set of white wheels and naf components added. But riding it and experiencing how light weight it was set me off down the modern upgrade route, it's my favourite bike now, and my Trek despite a decent spec stays mainly in the shed, or gets used by mates.

I was a little worried about geometry and I first tried it with rigids and it was good, but the lightweight shock is a significant improvement, and it rides really well. My brother has a same period dynatech titanium which is totally as original, it doesn't compare on rides, the GT now feels very modern ride wise (apart from the very short backend!) For me 1x10 with the expander sprocket is so good for riding and with the light weight it leaps ahead of my Trek 29er. It took a while to get the right gear set up, I originally started with a 32 tooth front and went up to an oval 34 which gave a better top speed (It was lacking before).
Cheers, Richard

Re:

Have to agree on the ride quality. I think it's a bit of a marmite thing though. You find some people who can't stand how rigid Zaskars are and others who can't get enough. Always loved the way mine handles and how quick it is to flick about. Also climbs very well and the whole frame is nuke proof. :) Good yours is getting a bashing though!

ceo":3pb5ui6m said:
just have a look at the serial (left dropout). the first 4 numbers tell you production month and year. happy trails.

Thats good to know... im off to check mine!

Back