sharpies ......... decorating your frame!

retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Good day,

I have a frame which would make a great canvas but don't really want to fook it up as its not cheap and I am in no way experienced in painting bikes so decided to put this thought out there before I start trawling the internet for solutions.

Has anyone here ever used sharpies on a frame and have they managed to clear coat it for preservation?, don't know if I've got this right but the pro industrial sharpie seems to be quite hard Wearing and may take a clear coat whereas the normal style sharpies are gonna run due to the chemicals..... :? any thoughts or alternative options welcome.

RBG

Re: sharpies.............

The inks used in permanent markers are very quickly affected by UV and will fade to their base colour. Some 'blacks' will fade to blues, purples, reds depending on manufacturer. Similar principles apply to anodising dyes.

legrandefromage":nq2hkrjg said:
The inks used in permanent markers are very quickly affected by UV and will fade to their base colour. Some 'blacks' will fade to blues, purples, reds depending on manufacturer. Similar principles apply to anodising dyes.

Fading on colours, forgot about that.... but on blacks, there is a chap in the states who does cars in black industrial sharpies, surely these wont fade if he's doing camaro's and caddy's ?

hamster":nq2hkrjg said:
Car touch up pens?

also a good thought, just hope they do better colours these days instead of drab ford and vauxhall colours.... will check halfrauds

RBG

I'm interested in this too as I have a project idea: paint frame white and let my kids draw on it, then get it clear coated. Pens would be best as I'm not sure car touch up brushes would make it easy for them to draw with.

Try the touch up kits that have a fineliner - nowadays there is a brush tip which pulls off to reveal a tubular nib.

Re:

I did a BMX frame in the 80's with paint pens, didn't even clear coat it and it lasted ages.

Re:

Clearcoat is fine over sharpie. And that is pound shop sharpies which are pretty crap.
You can get Mitsubishi fine line pens that are also OK under clearcoat.
I only know this as I spray out paint on coupons[bits of old fridge side] when tinting paint or other
things I was trying with paint, I often write on the color/basecoat with a sharpie so I know what
I was doing or what time it was done.
Clearcoat should provide some UV protection, but fluros still fade so I guess it's not as good as could
be.

Re:

What about using enamel craft paints :)

I had the frame powder coated then used humbrol enamel modelling paints and then clear coated with spray lacquer , it's been built up for some years now and still looks good imho , their has been no fading to the colours.

Just a idea ... ;)

Ian

Back