Replacing Manitou steerer tube - help/advice needed

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all
I've done a search but can't find a definitive answer as to the method needed.
I have a good friend who's a toolmaker so has a workshop to get it done with whatever tools might be needed.
I'm looking to swap a threaded 1 ⅛" steerer for a non-threaded (I need longer, and chopping the threaded portion off leaves it too short), so is it a case of pressing out the original (how exactly?) then re-fitting the replacement?
Is there a retaining clip/washer involved? If so, can that be re-used or is a new one required?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: It's a Manitou 2 crown/steerer

Hydraulic press is needed I believe. Should be a case of pressing out the old and pressing in a new one, assuming you have one or can get one made.

Might be worth seeing if anyone wants to swap csus before going down that route.

What's the diameter of the stantion? I've got a csu that I bought believing it would fit a Judy fork but it doesn't (stantions are too small). Been wondering what it will fit?

Thanks, I think there's a member on here that's done it for some others in the past, I'll need to look him up.

Call me stupid but CSU??

It's Manitou 2 crown with 1 ⅛" standard threaded steerer. NOS. Chances of a NOS for NOS swap are slim I presume! Hence wanting to press the steerer out. :? :facepalm:

Crown and steerer unit = CSU

I had a couple of forks done by a member on here as well. Hope you get something sorted.

That crown wont be nos any more after you pressing a new tube.
I would be more comfortable to swap a nice condition crown than risking a nos one to beak while pressing a new steerer. Or worse: Breaking my face because the pressing was not done correctly... :roll:

Re:

There are to companies(?) who advertise on ebay who do this and stanchions. One is regensuspension, google and you will find website.

ishaw":jv3u9ev2 said:
Crown and steerer unit = CSU

I had a couple of forks done by a member on here as well. Hope you get something sorted.
Thanks man - I was close with my best guess what the acronym was - but I went with UPPER which made little sense and knew I was wrong.

Good to know I have some potential contacts to approach for this job, cheers. :)

Thias":jv3u9ev2 said:
That crown wont be nos any more after you pressing a new tube.
I would be more comfortable to swap a nice condition crown than risking a nos one to beak while pressing a new steerer. Or worse: Breaking my face because the pressing was not done correctly... :roll:
I'm hoping it can be clamped in such a fashion that no damage will occur. It's a risk I have to undertake, which is why I've posted here for advice on how best to (or what not to) do it.
I'm sure that those with experience of doing this can guarantee the strength of the fitment is circa the orginal, but my face won't be at the slightest risk of getting broken as this is just a garage queen project to due to the frame having already undergone a repair. A simple vanity exercise purely for aesthetics - art, if you will. ;)

02gf74":jv3u9ev2 said:
There are to companies(?) who advertise on ebay who do this and stanchions. One is regensuspension, google and you will find website.
Great, many thanks for the heads up :cool:

Re:

If you do do it yoursef, have a practice on trashed forks first.
On your nos id pay the experts to do it, ask ad to what is likelihood of crown getting damaged.

Is welding a sleeved extension not possible as an alternative?

Re: Re:

02gf74":2rs4jy7d said:
If you do do it yoursef, have a practice on trashed forks first.
On your nos id pay the experts to do it, ask ad to what is likelihood of crown getting damaged.

Is wrlding a sleevef extensipn no possible ad an alternative?
Thanks - I just about understood all that :LOL:

I'll make sure everything's covered. As per my OP, I have a mate with all the expertise and probably all the equipment to do it but I'll make enquiries with the experts who do it professionally

:)

Re:

I was facing the same dilemma with a Rockshox fork for my Brodie build, and everybody I talked to - including Paul (Brodie) himself - advised highly against doing such things. Something about the R/S crown being a friction/heat fit that makes them highly susceptible to damage upon pressing. Some suggestions were to bake the whole thing to about four hundred degrees, and then quickly dry-ice freeze the steerer tube to shrink it and presto - it "should then just slip right out" ... but apparently that wasn't a good idea either, as it would change the end properties (soften) of the aluminum crown material.

All the advise was to keep searching for an oem steerer/crown unit in the right configuration, as they do come up from timetotime. Not wanting to wait for ever, I ended up buying an 'Ultimate' CNC'd aftermarket crown and pressing a new steerer into that, which worked like a charm (had access to a fully equipped shop and an expert machinist) ... and then, right after that, a proper Rockshox crown with a long enough 1" steerer fell into my world anyway, thanks to a connection made through 'Redgunner' on this forum.

I am curious to see how you make out with this 'pressing' endeavor (pun intended) .. and good luck!

Back