Seeking opinions - rims for my Al Mega DX...

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
I've just obtained a NOS pair of Ritchey Vantage Comp rims to use on my Alpinestars Al Mega DX build, but the decals are different to what originally came on the bike. I have the original rims (which some of you may remember I went to the painstaking task of getting replica original spec decals made for) but I really don't know what to do with these NOS rims...

Keep the original decals (stars n stripes look great, but not OE) or peel them off and re-sticker them with the pink & yellow ones? :shock: I suppose it boils down to whether they look okay as they are (being a different decal) or whether I should even contemplate peeling those decals off and replacing them with a "replica" decal?

Opinions valued. Cheers :)

Original vs replica rim decals (91 spec):

The NOS rim decals (possibly 89/90 spec?):

I would redecal them since this is your baby and its come this far. Its also a perfect match.

If it was a rider I would totally cheat - I would put those older decals on a set of Mavic 317s :LOL:

jimi911":1sbdavy5 said:
I would redecal them since this is your baby and its come this far. Its also a perfect match.

If it was a rider I would totally cheat - I would put those older decals on a set of Mavic 317s :LOL:

Thanks Jim. I'm really torn with what to do - luckily I haven't got any 317s haha! I've got until Saturday to decide, as they're off to the LBS to be built - AT LONG LAST!!

I'd have to ask why worry so much about the decal? Unless you are building a period correct show bike that will be laughed out of town for not having the correct rim decal I'd leave them as they are.

ishaw":12y0tphh said:
I'd have to ask why worry so much about the decal? Unless you are building a period correct show bike that will be laughed out of town for not having the correct rim decal I'd leave them as they are.

It's not period-correct as such. Most of it is with a few choice upgrades and a totally non-period fork :LOL:

I appreciate the comments :D

Retro Spud":30j5p2d5 said:
jimi911":30j5p2d5 said:
:LOL:

I'm with Jimi ^^

Thanks Nick. Yours and Jim's opinions are most valuable to me - you guys are as fastidious as I am, so if you think they need to be changed, then changed they will be!

I'll peel them off carefully and run some copies off ;) Might also do some Mavic 231 while I'm at it as I have some of those rims I also want to refresh :cool:

Re:

Those decals take up such a small part of the rim so as to not worry about them , id leave them, .....unless you want the samr decaks as original, then peel off and make new copies.

Re: Re:

02gf74":1a8fvpuh said:
Those decals take up such a small part of the rim so as to not worry about them , id leave them, .....unless you want the same decals as original, then peel off and make new copies.

I do, but if the general consensus was that the stars'n'stripes ones should be left as-is (becasue they're NOS) then I might listen and not peel them off. But I'm going to remove them tomorrow and apply the 91-spec version so the wheels look as they did when the bike was new.

I have plenty of the pink/yellow 91-spec decals to go on. I've also sold about 20 pairs to RBers all over the world, in England, Canada, USA, Germany, France, Denmark & Australia! They're very popular :cool:

Re:

evening...

a man after my own heart! I'm rebuilding a trek 8000 and struggling to get the correct matrix rims with the correct decals to finish it off - they are the last thing for me to source.

I'd go with the replica decals personally, if you had the original bike it's surprising the little touches you recall.

Back