about BB - remind me

02gf74

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'm looking to replace BB and chainset on a road bike.

The one fitted is Shimano square taper, without removing it, I know nothing else about it.

The replacement is Ultegra Octalink with 70 printed on it (the width?) although distance between the end caps shoulders is 66.4 mm but that may be reduced on fitting it.

I measure BB shell width to be 66ish mm.

I don't know if threads are compatible, the replacement I've been told is Italian - is this the more common one? Bike frame is aluminium of some unknown brand.

Is it likely to fit or as I suspect, the only way to tell is to try to fit it.

Also BB is not new, is there any way to clean and regrease the bearings? Being sealed I suspect the answer is no.

If it's 70mm then you have an Italian road bottom bracket.

As you measured yours at 66ish, you have a standard 68mm British thread shell. Sadly it won't fit. Amongst other differences, the Italian BB has right hand threads both sides, whereas the standard type has left and right hand threads.

Some Shimano square taper BBs are rebuildable: UN91 for example. Most however are not (well, not easily anyway).

Re:

thanks - as I suspected the British is the more popular fitting, the Italian fitting found on a couple of Pinarellos and such; my Bianchi road bike has 67ish mm BB so that too will be British.

So every bike I have ever own has been British cup with LH thread.

off to find a BB.

if BB label has 36 x 24 then its Italian.

What does it have for British (BSA (1,37 x 24))

Dammit - how do I know what spindle length I need?

Spindle length is determined by the chainset, don't worry about the frame.

Just make sure you also know whether your chainset needs Octalink 1 or II. Shimano fiddled around with it - Velobase is probably a good starting point.

Octalink BBs tend to have sadly short lives as the bearings were undersized in order to make space for that fat shaft.

Your fitting new cranks?
Take a look at the Sheldon BB Width list.
Road are Octalink V1 aren't they, same as XTR, you will find pics of them on Sheldons site.

Back