The WW bug

scottproonly

Retro Guru
Hi.I caught the WW bug in 1990 in a big way and so did all my mates.Im not complaining, I love it!
I just wondered how people shake the bug,especially retrobikers.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Kes

At the risk of sounding stupid, what's WW?

Edit: weight weenie?

scottproonly":knaa19j4 said:
I just wondered how people shake the bug,especially retrobikers.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Kes
When lightweight bits fail and dump you on your arse. Even more likely when they weren't actually very good, or very well made, 20 years ago, and have had 20 years of abuse........

These days its a waste of time. You can build a perfectly functional road bike to the UCI limit for £1500. Or with shopping round, lighter for the same money, or same weight for less. Guy on weightweenies did a UCI illegal road bike for 1000 dollars IIRC.

My Race MTB is a around 20 lbs, and there are no concessions to performance or comfort, 2x drivetrain with a full size cassette, proper 100mm forks (some people take bits out to make them lighter, usually stops them working at the same time!) comfy saddle for 4-5 hour events, not a 75 minute XCO event, proper sized tyres (2,25 at the moment).

Only thing that has a weight limit that has any sort of an impact is the wheels. And thats 85 kilos. Everything else is either unlimited, or 120 kilos.

So why would you want to spend rapidly increasing money on rapidly diminishing returns on weight when from a physics perspective, the biggest place to save weight/improve performance is usually the fat lump on the saddle.

FWIW not very many road pros use bikes at the UCI limit, and on the MTB side most of the pros bikes could probably lose half a kilo or more (according to other weight weenies forum members, not me), but they'd have to spend the value of the bike again, and it'd quite likely only last one or two races........

Re:

Why would I want to spend money making my bike lighter? Cos its fun!
Any fun hobby costs time or money or both!
Kes

Thought you wanted to shake the bug?

And spending money on it isn't fun, it's just spending money.
Using your own ingenuity and skills is fun.

mattr":2xvo6jc5 said:
Using your own ingenuity and skills is fun.

Indeed. Ive made my own carbon fibre washers for brake calliper bokts and plastic inner tube valve stem lock rings,

Re:

You misunderstood my op! I said I wasn't complaining I had the bug. Upgrading my bike is fun and that costs money unfortunately. Its my hobby,for good or ill.
I was just interested in the thoughts of others. I didn't mean it to be taken so seriously. Sorry for the misunderstanding :)
Kes

Re:

Choose your parts wisely and patience for them to turn up on ebay and weight can be dropped.

Only items dont change are stem and bar bolts.

Wheels and tyres give biggest gains folled by seatpost, saddle, bars, stem.... chainset, cassette .

Ofcouse a light framr helps!!

It's fun.
People tend to do it when they have kids and no time to ride etc.
My torus is 19lb with some not particularly light parts.

Back