m950 jockey wheels on m951 rr rear mech

jgjones095

Old School Hero
Hi I have aquire an xtr m950 and m951 rapid rise rear mech.

The jockey wheels on the 951 seem aftermarket and worn out.
The m950 ones look original shimano ones with slight wear on one side.

Can m950 jockey wheels run on 951 rear mech? I am going to running 8 speed.

Any idea where I can get new xtr m950 jockey wheels from

Re:

You can use pretty much any jockey wheel with same number of teeth.
I personally use nice aluminium ones from China for nice sunny day only bikes. Or the bog standard bottom of the range Shimano ones for shitty mud conditions, both work a treat.

Just be sure, not to use jockey wheels that were made for 9speed or more on 8Speed or 7speed chains. Or else the derailleur cage might be too narrow for the chain. The lenght of the bolts that go through the jockey wheels might be different, too. I am not sure for the 950/951. But I had that problem when I tried to switch jockey wheels between m900 and some xt.

I don't worry about chain width, they all work, well 7, 8 and 9 speed.
I always put a matching pair off wheels on, so they are the correct width[overall width]
and I use the correct length bolts that came with them; I am usually nicking the pulleys
out of another mech.

Re:

Those BBB's don't look tooo worn, but if you do want to replace them, Chainreactioncycles do have a good range of Shimano jockey wheels, usually in stock - not cheap tho for XT/XTR-level ones.. almost more than you should pay for a used XTR mech tbh! ;)

I use the cheap Alivio-level jockeys as replacements too in the main and never found any issues with them at all; but there's nowt wrong with much that BBB make, jockey wheels included.

Thinking fitting 10T BBB BDP-01 into XTR M952 9 speed running 8 speed.

Wondering whether they'll fit between derailleur rails or not?

Any advise on any 10T jockey's would be welcome...bought some pricey XTR's 11T and they wore out rapeedo?!!

Back