The BEST RIDING BIKES...what's your top three of all time ?

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
Been mulling this one over for a while, as the market has suddenly picked up for ICONIC BIKES from back in our day. Are people just hanging them on a wall ? :shock:

Plenty on here have devotion to only one or a few brands. Of all the ICONIC bikes you have ridden in anger :LOL: which ones do you rate as the best for riding for a few hours or even all day ? A brief reason for each choice please.

My all time top three.

Fat Chance Titanium - stiff, light, amazing handling and so comfortable.

Fat Chance Team Comp - A lively feel and very comfortable all day rider.

Serotta T Max - V Stiff, fast, great handling and pretty tubing.

Re:

Since certain models had changes from year to year that could impact ride/performance, I'll note the year and model of my faves:

1992 Merlin Mountain w/ Rock Shox Judy - the S-bend seat and chain stays eliminate the flexiness of the earlier Merlins. Combined with a suspension fork, this is by far the most comfortable for all day riding vs my other bikes.

1993 Fat Chance Titanium w/ ti fork - this bike was my first experience with titanium and it's great. It feels almost as stiff as the fat tubed aluminum Klein but the titanium frame and shock damps most of the high frequency chatter from pebbles & ruts which makes it a little more comfortable than the Klein over a half day ride. It's super nimble and also climbs eagerly.

1993 Klein Attitude w/ uniKlein fork - definitely the stiffest ride of this lot but there's an energy/springiness that comes through the handlebars and seat that makes the bike seem almost alive and for climbing it's the better bike here. You have to be alert at all times riding the rougher trails and choosing the best path because the bike won't absorb anything.

Re:

Specs vary and are relevant but we can assume most of these bikes are at least original spec or upgraded. A spec review would be interesting too. Other suggestions welcome :D

Sadly its speculative, based on conjecture rather than knowledge, in a fashion led industry, where marketing ruled, and choices made.

Is a Yeti Ultimate, a better ride than a Fat Chance, at the same price and spec....? Klein and Cannondale..? Salsa or Bontrager..? Roberts or Yates..? Orange or Overburys..?

How a bike rides will be hampered/ helped by its component choice as well as how well its set up, Campagnolo is crap in its gear change efficiency when compared to Shimano, but yet its the crown to look at, and yet, we all still build with it.

And so it goes on.

A Yeti C-26 is an Icon, but didn't become so because of how good the bike rode. Marketing did. The legend the Fable.

My best RIDING bicycles have not been iconic nor expensive and wouldnt warrant even a sentence from the unofficial RB self appointed illuminati.

Somewhere in the list of three would have to be the 2nd generation Zaskar - its advantage over the 1st being the replaceable clanger hanger (I'm on my 3rd)

Theres a Saracen too 1997 Protrax plus a sneaky 1998 Raleigh full suss design that is heavy, slow but seems to allow all day XC riding - 853 main frame with either alu or steel rear.

legrandefromage":qks6b15c said:
My best RIDING bicycles have not been iconic nor expensive and wouldnt warrant even a sentence from the unofficial RB self appointed illuminati.

Somewhere in the list of three would have to be the 2nd generation Zaskar - its advantage over the 1st being the replaceable clanger hanger (I'm on my 3rd)

Theres a Saracen too plus a sneaky 1998 Raleigh full suss design that is heavy, slow but seems to allow all day XC riding.

Good thinking Batman, I like that, it would make a bloody good headbadge. ;)

Attachments

• illuminati.jpg
    illuminati.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 769
legrandefromage":36xn5805 said:

Theres a Saracen too 1997 Protrax plus a sneaky 1998 Raleigh full suss design that is heavy, slow but seems to allow all day XC riding - 853 main frame with either alu or steel rear.

Agreed. The original post asked specifically about "best riding bikes". Convoluting that with "desireability", which is mostly the outcome of marketing and advertising, and "reliability/quality", which may or may not ultimately affect a bike's ride qualities, would definitely take this thread down a rabbit hole. As it is, my opinions above are based solely on my own collection and comparing one to another. I have nothing to offer on Litespeeds, GT's, Cannondale's, etc or many of the other brands and models I see on RB because I've never ridden any of them.

SF Klein":1zf2gsbu said:
legrandefromage":1zf2gsbu said:

Agreed. The original post asked specifically about "best riding bikes". Convoluting that with "desireability", which is mostly the outcome of marketing and advertising, and "reliability/quality", which may or may not ultimately affect a bile's ride qualities, would definitely take this thread down a rabbit hole. As it is, my opinions above are based solely on my own collection and comparing one to another. I have nothing to offer on Litespeeds, GT's, Cannondale's, etc or many of the other brands and models I see on RB because I've never ridden any of them.

Our own stable contents make it less bias, for sure. The advertising and marketing I guess is less of a factor once the choices are made, but spec choices and mechanics still play a part of course.

Re:

I get an opportunity to ride a lot of vintage mtbs ... geeze 12 this year alone :shock:. I gotta agree with sinnerman on the component group thing. Put a good premium set of your favourite components on any mid to high end frame and its going to give you good performance (within reason obviously - there were dogs). Add in a good fit for your body and you probably have a winner.

My top bikes have changed a bit after another year of riding.

1. 1993 Brodie BHDT - It has a xt735 premium group, avid tris, NOS drive-train and long travel mag21. It just does everything well. With the forks setup for hits it climbs and descends well. Its just a rocket over quick single track which is what I ride. Great fit.

2. 1991 Kestrel CSX (uber light 20lbs) - Suntour XC Pro - I REALLY like that group. Again, avid tris and a NOS drive-train. These things are stiff, and jarring over rough patches but its so fast and responsive. Did I mention if really like the XC Pro ;)

3. 1993 Fat Chance Yo Eddy - Full XTR and a NOS drive-train. I don't ride this that much, but it really is pretty spot on. So good on tight single track and easy to toss around.

The Fat was my #2 last year - Probably would be #1 with a set avid tri aligns.

Honourable mentions - 1996 Spesh M2 and 1989 Gary Fisher CR7.

Re:

For me, solely based on stuff I have owned or ridden. Not sure if they count as "ICONIC" or not:

Overbury's Pioneer 1986, Suntour XC groupset: Light handling tall singletrack frame designed specifically for UK cross country conditions in that happy window between the 1985 slack clunkers and the 1988 arse-up xc racers. Brazed in the backroom of an average bikeshop in Bristol.

AMP B4, 1996 with any decent kit: Ride it like it's a rigid and you'll get smooth and lively handling all day long. Admittedly the fork wasn't great, but the rear suspension design is deservedly living on today in many new bikes, because it simply works.

Bontrager Racelite: Refined steel, pared down to the absolute minimum. No 'artisan' frills or mythical quality, just another example to show that frame stiffness doesn't often equate to a good ride.

All the best,

Back