Front Mech help - top/bottom pull/swing etc

saccades

Devout Dirtbag
In the process of tarting up an old Kona and I'm not 100% sure on front mech, It confused me back in the day and I'm confusing me now.

Can someone tell me what type of mech this is please:

P1090896_zpst3cqnsfs.jpg

I think top swing which is also called bottom pull?

Do I have to replace like for like as I thought you use Top swing only when there is insufficient room for a Bottom Swing (which with a hardtail isn't an issue - right?).

Thanks in advance.

Re:

It's a top swing and it's bottom pull.

Top swing is with the clamp, lower than the cage, conventional is with the clamp above the cage. The top/bottom pull refers to the direction the cable comes from, although most modern front derailleurs are dual pull, so they will work with the cable coming up from under the bottom bracket, or down from the seat tube.

Re:

Agree it's top swing; but the telltale cable running up behind the seat tube suggests it's top pull (or dual pull) in this case..

Issues with conventional vs top swing aren't just to do with hardtails though; it also depends where your bottle-cage mounts are (if there are any) on the seat tube.
Sometimes you need a top-swing because the 'conventional' high-clamp can be on or between the cage bosses.

Re:

but the telltale cable running up behind the seat tube suggests it's top pull (or dual pull) in this case..

You're right, I didn't look properly and thought that was just the cut end sticking up. :oops:

Back