XTR octalink compatibility

Re: XTR octalink compatibly

I dont believe you can - from memory the splines are a different length or something along those lines

Re:

It certainly is compatible as I use the very same set-up.
Mine works perfectly with the 118mm axle but is on the limit of front mech travel.

Re: Re:

MRGRUMPY":1og8dsgo said:
It certainly is compatible as I use the very same set-up.
Mine works perfectly with the 118mm axle but is on the limit of front mech travel.
You sure about that?I was looking at the 118mm BB this evening with the seller and it is Italian thread making it a non runner.He has an English thread version that he is going to sort for me.I thought Italian thread was for road bikes only?

the road BBs come in 109 and 118, the MTB ones came in 112.5 and 116, so the road ones are too short or too long. The MTB ones are pretty hard to get hold of though, so sometimes it's the only option. Plenty of places still have BB-5500 (105 level) new

the road ones don't work with 73mm shells.

In the end I got rid of my M950 cranks, went back to middleburns.

The DA, ultegra and 105 bbs are v1 splined as per the xtr so in that department compatible. The issues are axle length (what's a few mm between friends?) and she'll width. The xtr version was designed to run both bb shell widths but if your frame is a 68 bb, happy days.

As someone has said, unless you have an Italian threaded bb frame, it's no good to you.

Wondering if you have an xtr bb with shot bearings but a good axle, whether you can just swap axles to the road bb and run it on a 73mm bb shell?

ishaw":2qhzvprh said:
Wondering if you have an xtr bb with shot bearings but a good axle, whether you can just swap axles to the road bb and run it on a 73mm bb shell?
Probably, i've got both the original hollowtech bottom brackets, D-A and XTR (2x), still in perfect working order.
Most of the bits appear to be (at first sight) identical. I'm not going to pull it all apart to look tho, they are both in bikes.......

Back