Bikepacking on a retro bike?

Titiritero

Retro Guru
Does anyone here do bikepacking on a retrobike? If so, could you post pictures of your bike in action? Most of what I see online is on 29" super-specific models, but I think retrobikes would be perfect for the job due to classic geometry (plenty of space for frame bags), many attachment points for racks and bottles, rigid forks, etc.

(Bikepacking is yet another trend in today's mtb world. Basically, a fancy name for cycle-touring offroad and carrying as much luggage as possible on the frame instead of racks to theoretically improve maneuverability and clearance).

An example on modern bikes
https://bolderbikepacking.wordpress.com/riders-gallery/

I don't have any pictures but have started to use my P7 with stuff strapped to the bars (or barbag) and a Carradice saddlebag. As the bike is a 16" there is very little frame triangle to fit a bag!

I've done plenty of tours with a Marin Palisades or Pine Mountain, but used panniers.

Re:

coomber":3o6479z5 said:

Saw that post. Unfortunately, the topic diverted to some guy's new touring bike and how many grams one can save choosing a certain gas cooker over another, and I lost interest.

For that matter, this one is more on the topic, although it's the conventional touring (that is, with racks and panniers) instead of bikepacking (frame bags instead of panniers)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=334997

Re:

In 1994 I spent a couple of weeks touring round the lakes in Northern Italy on my 1992 Marin Eldridge (wasn't retro back then :D ) with blackburn rack and mid-large karrimor panniers on the rear and a handlebar bag on the front, we were camping, was with 2 friends so stove, tools etc was split between 3, and we each carried own small tent plus clothing, we were travelling light and I didn't need a front rack except the bar bag. I have some old fashioned pics somewhere, would need to scan to post, but you probably get the idea. Apart from the tent I had which was a lightweight mountaineering one that packed to the size of a small loaf, none of the other stuff was particularly weight weenie. We did need all our gears though, even the really low ones that I never thought I'd use. The trouble with touring in the mountains is that we spent most of the time going uphill !

Re:

In 1988 after we left school, myself and a friend went on a cycle tour of Yorkshire on Raleigh Mustangs.
We just had an aluminium rack on the back and some cheap panniers, and a frame shoulder bag for our tools.

Those were the days.

Re: Re:

daugs":2myyr6vr said:
In 1994 I spent a couple of weeks touring round the lakes in Northern Italy on my 1992 Marin Eldridge (wasn't retro back then :D ) with blackburn rack and mid-large karrimor panniers on the rear and a handlebar bag on the front, we were camping, was with 2 friends so stove, tools etc was split between 3, and we each carried own small tent plus clothing, we were travelling light and I didn't need a front rack except the bar bag. I have some old fashioned pics somewhere, would need to scan to post, but you probably get the idea. Apart from the tent I had which was a lightweight mountaineering one that packed to the size of a small loaf, none of the other stuff was particularly weight weenie. We did need all our gears though, even the really low ones that I never thought I'd use. The trouble with touring in the mountains is that we spent most of the time going uphill !

actually pics quite easy to find, only a couple of the bike though showing panniers, with four point fixing for the rack it was all attached quite robustly, more than some stuff loosely attached to seat posts etc, depends how offroad you want to go. When we were doing more challenging stuff towards the tops of the mountain we just left the tents and stuff at the campsite...

24498330375_7dc130fc76_z.jpg

24472136646_246ba24997_z.jpg

forgive the hat, my mates' idea of a birthday present, apparently it was what was "available"

I'd like to see some more pictures on the thread if anyone has some. Agree panniers and the like aren't really my thing.

Back