** My Original Alves Returns!! **

velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
hopefully, by the 7th of February, i shall be able to write my first post in the 1997 readers bike section, as (all being well, keeping fingers crossed) i will get my old Alves frame back!!

It's a long story.... but i'll keep it short....

I had this built by Charlie many, many moons ago. i cut the mavic seat post short (to save weight :facepalm: ) which eventually caused a tiny crack right at the seat clamp bolt. i fitted a longer post and used it for years as my training bike. fast-forward 5 years, it was left behind in a barn at a friends house as i was moving and was unable to take it with me. a friend of his asked if he could have it, and stupidly, i said yes... :facepalm: :facepalm:

but, it seems what goes around comes around..... my friend has kept in touch with his friend, and as it's no longer being used, i'm getting it back!! :D :cool:

i have a voodoo wanga frame and cromoto forks that i was gonna sell, but i'm gonna give to him instead, so he can continue cycling, and (once i've assessed the frame on return), i'm gonna do whatever is necessary to rebuild my old bike and take it on a Retrobike event at some point!

really excited and looking forward to seeing it again, here is how it looked back in the day :cool:

Attachments

• alves.jpg
    alves.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 1,041
Re: My Original Alves Returns!! (potentially.....)

Ooooh, checking in.

And no it won't be the Alves ;)

Re:

Looking forward to some photos.

I just hope the frame is still adorned with the Campy in that photograph :D

Re:

glad to hear it THM :D

player, i wish! :LOL:

so..... 1 inch forks and headsets..... it's been a while.....

what's the scoop, is there such a thing as 1 inch threadless, can i use an aheadset, or do i stick with traditional threaded forks and headset? just been looking up Mavic 316 headsets, as i remember mine having yellow stickers and a rubber ring that had the locking bolt hiding beneath. but Kingroon on here has a lovely sour green 1 inch threadless chris king ahead.......

Yeah 1" threadless is a thing (ahead).

Stems sometimes in short supply though. But do come up.

Nice story fella.

Or is that four? The blue that is now silver mtb?

No hang on, isn't that yours velo?

Lovely machines :)
Looking forward to see what its like when you get it back.
If you need a headset I have a 1 inch Aheadset off of my old 94 Stumpy you are welcome to have. Its in decent condition, maybe do with a polish or clean outside but that's all.
I see two Alves running around up here quite a bit. There's a nice freshly repainted red version getting about more often. The other is just spotted now and again parked outside the library.
Neither are for sale :roll: Either is the lovely Bob Jackson hardtail built for a local guy either. Small place up here but a few nice old machines tucked away.

Jamie

Just to save you buying the wrong thing:

Mavic 316 headsets are 1.125" - if you want a 1" you need to look for the Mavic 315...

Gorgeous headsets - have one on my Pace and love it!

Back