Stuck seat post problem

Rc200pace

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone I'm having trouble getting my seat post out of my rc200 pace frame I've tried oil,warming it up and a Stiltons but to no avail,even had it in a crack in the concrete and tried turning it. Does anyone know if the caustic soda trick works? Thanks

Re:

I may be wrong and someone will correct me if so, but I think caustic dissolves alloy seatposts in steel frames. On an alloy frame :shock:
So probably don't try that.
At least until someone corrects me! ;)

Re:

I've not heard of the stilton method! Is it left in the airing cupboard for a few days and the stench causes the post to free itself? :LOL: ;)

Sorry, no useful advise here (apart from agreeing with the comments above about alu post in alu frame)

Re:

Caustic sida dissolves akuminium alloy.

Frame is alloy.
NO!!

Warm frame using eg boiling water or blow torch. Cold water into seat post, assuming it is open at the top.

Possible the difference in temp will release the post enough to twist it.

I had the same issue. post clamped in a machine chuck / big vice, blow lamp on the seat tube and squirt WD (the heat draws it in, weird to watch) then a bit of elbow twisting action. scratched the post a bit but frame unmarked, which was more important!

RickTheUncivil":244qq2lp said:
I had the same issue. post clamped in a machine chuck / big vice, blow lamp on the seat tube and squirt WD (the heat draws it in, weird to watch) then a bit of elbow twisting action. scratched the post a bit but frame unmarked, which was more important!
Wouldn't a blow lamp damage the paint?

Back