Cannondale Delta V900 advice?

rcookscowen

Retro Guru
Hi,

Today I picked up a Delta V900 from the Manchester Jumble, for a princely 20 quid - its beat up but nothing lost nothing gained I guess..Im hoping to strip it and restore it best I can...the good news is the head shock still has rebound, but its quite springy, not very damped. Its also losing bearings around the top. Ive downloaded an instruction manual but Im looking for any adive on how best to service this, and how to address those bearings?!

thanks in advance...

Attachments

• 20160110_205255.jpg
    20160110_205255.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 777
  • 20160110_205306.jpg
    20160110_205306.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 777
  • 20160110_205316.jpg
    20160110_205316.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 777
  • 20160110_205255.jpg
    20160110_205255.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 774
I assume that is losing round bearings from the headset rather than roller bearings from the headshock?

Ade

Re:

hi

yeh there seems to be a damaged plastic seal, then loose bearings spilling out at the top. There is a type of clamp to around the top and bottom. Bearings look about 3-4mm but not measured yet

Sounds like it needs a new headset then. I have a feeling that the headset on these are 1.5" from memory - whether or not it has to be a specific design to work with the headshok system I am not sure about though.

Ade

ta - just been doing a bit of quick reading - sounds like these things are abugger and best converted to standard shock forks, but, I want to retain the headshock for originality and, something different... i know hey aint much cop but its only going to be a leisure ride... the worry is ill knakker it completely when i touch it!!!

yes they are 'interesting to work on. You could always put in a regular set of forks using a stepdown headset (generally better than using reducers and a headset as there are less points of failure) whilst you go about fixing up the headshok.

Ade

Re:

If it's headset bearings, you can change them with no problems.
But if it's inner headshok bearing (the 88 rollers for suspension) : Do not open or remove the system !

yep looks like just the headset, but the shock does seem to bounce like zebedee! Ill live with that bit for now though as I will only be pootling on it, and it sounds like Ill break it if I mess with it!...

rcookscowen":1pzaof1h said:
the shock does seem to bounce like zebedee!

Just like them all!
Qwerty cycles is my go to source of parts for these forks. Get a new upper bearing and also a bearing seal which is also missing going from the photo. My advice would be to leave the internals alone unless absolutely necessary. If it's the same as my fork, they can only be taken apart with an obscure 2 pin tool that very few people remember, let alone have.
The bounce isn't as bad when riding normally as it seems on a car park test. Ignore all the doom-mongers telling you to swap them out, they're part of what make cannondales unique.

Back