Threading a steerer

Tc

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I need to get a fork steerer threaded so I can use quill stems,
Anyone know where best to get it done & the costs?

T

All the LBS I tried didn't want to know, I called Argos cycles and they said they would do it if I sent them the forks, also found a seller on eBay (whose name I forget) who would do it.
I imagine a decent framebuilder should be able to do it.
But with the postage costs and labour costs I didn't bother in the end, sold the forks and found some produced with a threaded steerer, which was a more cost effective solution for me.
If the fork has an Ahead type steerer then it might not even be possible to cut threads into it and still retain strength in the tubing.
If it's just extending existing threads then that should be ok.

jimo746":nlsfsa4u said:
All the LBS I tried didn't want to know, I called Argos cycles and they said they would do it if I sent them the forks, also found a seller on eBay (whose name I forget) who would do it.
I imagine a decent framebuilder should be able to do it.
But with the postage costs and labour costs I didn't bother in the end, sold the forks and found some produced with a threaded steerer, which was a more cost effective solution for me.
If the fork has an Ahead type steerer then it might not even be possible to cut threads into it and still retain strength in the tubing.
If it's just extending existing threads then that should be ok.

Good point about the strength,though I'm only 1/2 an hour from Argos

Dan Chambers will do it and price is very reasonable :)

If I understand correctly, threaded steerers should be steel, not alu. So if it's a lightweight fork for an a-headset, chances are high that it's alu and shouldn't be threaded.

raidan73":1bswaglp said:

100% recommend Dan, he did a great job extending and threading my Funk fork steerer.

thesneaker":swv1ylz9 said:
raidan73":swv1ylz9 said:

100% recommend Dan, he did a great job extending and threading my Funk fork steerer.
Sounds perfect how do I get in contact wth him?

Back