Question on swapping out a steerrer tube

Smithjss70

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Was wondering if it's safe to press out a 1 1/8" steerer tube from a Manitou crown race and replace it with a 1 1/4" tube?

I'd seek out my LBS to do the work but just checking the pulse of this group to see if others have done it successfully.

Thanks and Happy New Year RBUK!

Re:

Swapping like for like would probably be ok, 1.1/8 threaded for 1.1/8 ahead for instance.
But fitting a larger diameter steerer would require the crown to drilled out.

Would it not be easier to get a replacement crown/steerer?

Re:

It would but tracking down a crown in really great condition with the correct diameter and length tube is proving more challenging than I envisioned! :D

I'll post some WTBs and cross my fingers. I'm not sure after thinking more about it that I'd feel too good taking the chance of having one repressed. Especially on a 20+ year old aluminum crown. Thanks for the sanity check!

Re:

Can you either use a shim or headset race for 1 1/8 steerer?

Fitting larger steerer would need the crown to be machined by someone who knows what they are doing so that steerer is not loose or crown splits when pressing it in.

I have a mint 1.25 tube and crown but it's currently fixed to a Manitou 4. I need the same setup for a Manitou 3 so I'm going to search for a NOS 1.25 tube & crown or will cannibalize my M4 for now.

I have a steerer in the Big Box of Fork Steerers in the garage, but it's not that long. 7 1/2" threadless IIRC.

Latest posts

Back