I have an issue with my little ring....

unit3

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
....on my cranks.

I have removed the 3 rings from a set of middleburn cranks (compact) and fitted them to a set of compact Specialized cranks.

The big and middle ring fit fine, but for some reason the little ring mounting holes dont quite line up :?:

Am I missing the obvious :facepalm:

There are two different bolt circles for a compact triple granny: 56mm (SunTour, TA, and some others) and 58mm (Shimano and most others). It's likely you have a mixture of those two standards.

one-eyed_jim":2bs5csxr said:
There are two different bolt circles for a compact triple granny: 56mm (SunTour, TA, and some others) and 58mm (Shimano and most others). It's likely you have a mixture of those two standards.

Ah I see.

The granny is made by Talon, so is it likely the middleburn or the specialized forged cranks are the odd one out? I would have thought they would both be normal/Shimano fitment :|

Simple solution: line one hole of the granny ring up with a mounting hole of the Specialized crank, then rotate the ring until the next hole on the chainring is as close as possible to the next hole on the crank. It should be obvious whether the bcd of the ring is too small or too big.

RS2 too, to judge by that catalogue.

If you look closely at the drawings of the range of RS2 spiders, there seem to be two slightly different designs for the two Compact/Microdrive models. One has a little point to align with the crank. I wonder which is which.

Don't forget that SunTour's 56mm bolt circle was the Microdrive standard before Shimano, late to the game, went with 58mm for the 1994 model year. So anything made prior to that point would have naturally adopted the 56mm standard.

Back