Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:41 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:50 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Nice! It's still all moldy though under that nice new leather!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:01 pm 
Old School Grand Master

where do you look on ebay for leather supplies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Just type 'leather offcuts' 'leather remnants' in ebay mate,theres lots of bits,to cover a flite youll need roughly 13" x 8" piece.

The mould wasnt really mouldy just coloured the foam black from the old leather colouring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master

andy.l wrote:
Just type 'leather offcuts' 'leather remnants' in ebay mate,theres lots of bits,to cover a flite youll need roughly 13" x 8" piece.

The mould wasnt really mouldy just coloured the foam black from the old leather colouring

cool, thanks :)
you mentioned spray glue, which glue exactly? sorry for 20 questions, but I also want to try this! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:30 pm 
Retro Guru

Something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/500ML-HEAVY-DUTY- ... 286.c0.m14

You can buy it from hardware stores too and of course carpet shops,dont buy spray mount or photo mount stuff as its pants and will come unstuck,spray generously over saddle,it will come out like spidermans web slinger,lol,let it go sticky for about 45secs-1min then stretch the leather over working from the centre of the saddle to the edges,when you have about 3/4" left to tuck under the seat spray some extra onto the back of the leather allow to go sticky again then fold under,try to keep your fingers away from the top surface as youre bound to get bits of glue on your fingers,its easier than it sounds really :wink:

Last edited by andy.l on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:31 pm 
Retro Guru

how about evo stick i use that retrimming car bits itll never come off and you can stretch it round contours nicely ill have a go and post results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:33 pm 
Old School Grand Master

andy.l wrote:
Something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/500ML-HEAVY-DUTY- ... 286.c0.m14

You can buy it from hardware stores too and of course carpet shops,dont buy spray mount or photo mount stuff as its pants and will come unstuck,spray generously over saddle,it will come out like spidermans web slinger,lol,let it go sticky for about 45secs-1min then stretch the leather over working from the centre of the saddle to the edges,when you have about 3/4" left to tuck under the seat spray some extra onto the back of the leather allow to go sticky agin then fold under,try to keep your fingers away from the top surface as youre bound to get bits of glue on your fingers,its easier than it sounds really :wink:

cool, thanks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:37 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Nice job.

Something I've been doing for years is to strip off all the old foam, and just ride the plastic shell. It's surprisingly comfortable, especially now I've developed a soft layer of padding on my rear...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:45 am 
East Midlands AEC
East Midlands AEC

bit like the carbon version then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:59 am 
Retro Guru

I used to do this years ago - evostick works well and I used to use bulldog clips to hold the edges down while the glue dried.

Sandpaper off the old glue etc and if possible use upholstory leather because it's very hard wearing.

Other options we used were... jumble sale leather jacket, car seat leather, handbag leather with a lovely crockadile type effect... looked awesome.

I haven't done it for years though - kevlar patches and other gubbins on modern saddles tend to mean they die of more than simple leather failure - bit of a shame really.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next