Who was/is the best British XC rider?

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Out on a ride the other day, I was pondering this.

Specifically mtb.

As I only got into mtb riding in the late '90s, I only knew of the Gould/Clarke/Baker/Foord riders, and Caroline Alexander.
Wer they the best we've ever had/have?

Mike

Liam Killeen? Oli Beckingsale?

Thing is, they are all different eras, so up against different competition. So someone finishing 15th in todays WC could have thoroughly spanked someone winning one ~15 years ago.

Or maybe the other way round, it's difficult to tell!

Re:

That's a difficult one.

Male international - Tim Gould / Steve Peat.
Male national - Richard Thackaray.
Female - Caroline Alexander......i always had a thing for her being a teenager and full of hormones at the time.

Just my opinion, but David Baker for me. I actually spoke to him before the 1994 (93?) World Cup race at Newnham Park, Plymouth, and I said "you should walk this one Dave", to which he replied "Should do, yeah" in an understated yet confident manner! He did indeed win that race which saw all the best international riders competing. I think he also won every round of the Brotosh series one year. Amazing rider and a gent.

Re:

I'd add Nick Craig to the list too.

How many riders from the nineties are still competing at a top level like Nick is?

Nicest guy in cycling too.

ultrazenith":10l04vk8 said:
Was Caroline Alexander the one who went to California with MBUK for that surreal nude mountain biking feature?
:shock: Pics. Please. :LOL:

Re:

Thanks for the responses ;)

I meant who was the best of their era, as in highest in results sheets when they raced

Was Deb Murrell as good as Caro?

Was Jon Clay more of a domestic racer?

Mike

Back