What puncture prevention do you use

kalex

Retro Guru
I was fed up with getting punctures from thorns on canal paths so I swapped to schwalbe marathon plus tyres.

There not the best looking or tread for my local canal paths ( No man made paths when your out in the sticks ) but they've sure cut my puncture % down.

I'm just wondering if things have moved on as I've had these for sometime now

Many schwalbe tyres have puncture protection these days, as do others. Can't tell you which are any good from experience though as I've not got any myself but have had the same dilemma.

I got a bald tyre, cut the bead off and put that inside the tyre, like a second carcass. Not light but I never got a flat. I used to periodically pull the thorns and such like out but they never penetrated. Ran about 10-15 psi for a bit of shock absorption with the extra strength in the sidewall it worked as treat. Also and great defence and gains snakebite.

Tubeless.
Run nice lightweight (sub 500 gram) race tyres, couple of scoops of sealant.

ONly punctures i've had are those that actually destroy the tyre. (Edge of a smashed roof tile, bottom of a smashed bottle)

Re:

ishaw":3dhyqxfw said:
Many schwalbe tyres have puncture protection these days, as do others.

Subscribe to Schwalbe tyres. Since I got them, my punctures have been easily reduced by 90%. Heavier, yes, but glad to have those extra 300 grms if they avoid me stopping to fix a flat in the dark when I cycle home now in winter... Nowadays I hardly buy any other brand.., The folding ones are of course lighter, but the price is sometimes double of the wire models, not worth to me.

Re:

This came up in another thread, this is what I wrote:

I really rate Schwalbe tyres; I have them on all three of my bicycles now, a set Marathon Plus on my "shopping" bike, they're heavy, but I haven't had a puncture in 2000 miles or more; I don't even bother taking a pump and a spare tube any more.

I've got a set Sammy Slicks and a set of Hurricanes on the other bikes, both of which have some puncture protection and whilst it's not as complete as the Marathon Plus, I get significantly less punctures than I did with some of the unprotected tyres I've tried, like the Maxxis Wormdrives.

Re:

I'm just curious as to what other use. I wouldn't swap from my marathon plus purely because of the amount of thistles, thorns etc that are covered on my trails.

I'm just not keen on the reflective bit on the side walls

Re:

You could probably scrub that off with one of those green scouring pads you use of washing up. I don't mind it, but find they get so grubby after a while that their effectiveness as a safety feature probably isn't that great.

Re: Re:

xerxes":3vy7tq1l said:

You could probably scrub that off with one of those green scouring pads you use of washing up. I don't mind it, but find they get so grubby after a while that their effectiveness as a safety feature probably isn't that great.

I think there a good idea but I only use my mtb in the day light and not even on road so there's no point. Plus it reminds me of when I was a kid being plastered in the reflective safety stuff

Re: Re:

kalex":3gz0yxwz said:
I wouldn't swap from my marathon plus purely because of the amount of thistles, thorns etc that are covered on my trails.
Really? Marathon plus are horrific tyres. The only two things they do well is last (and last, and last) and puncture protection.

By every other measure they are horrible!

Latest posts

Back