Is your collection complete ?

retroyetirigid

Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Weather it be a unicorn or not, have you got/had (and are happy to be without) everything you dreamed of back in the day ?

I understand space can be an issue, as can finances ;) . But does 'Rule 12' http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/ have a retro limit ?

The reason for this, is that today I aquired a 1990 GT Tequesta 20" in aqua blue that I've been hankering after for 20 odd years :oops: . It's not top of the range, not in any way original component wise but has got the original paint finish (frame, forks AND stem), which is why I was lusting after it.

It got me thinking. Is there anything else I want/need ?

Off the top of my head came : An earlyish Bontrager, A Yeti ARC & FRO (1989-1993), 1989 Diamond Back Ascent, 1991 Diamond Back Axis and possibly a Fat.

I'm ignoring modern as they have no soul ;) :twisted: .

So, over to the retrobike family to deliberate and debate as we see fit.

Re:

No. There is a gary fisher 2000 ish bike i shoud have bought instead of the one i did. Got an ebay search for a few years and not one has come up. Nothing extraordinary, just special to me.

Re:

I hope so, having started my own Holy Grail build,

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=335633&hilit=p22

But having said that, I may have an English project to build up after that, should I choose to. I have all the stuff for it on another bike that could be upgraded with things I've been collecting :roll:

Mike

Re: Re:

02gf74":14z7m23u said:
No. There is a gary fisher 2000 ish bike i shoud have bought instead of the one i did. Got an ebay search for a few years and not one has come up. Nothing extraordinary, just special to me.

Which one, may I ask?

Mike

Re:

I am/have been lucky in owning a good selection of the bikes and frames I gazed longingly at in the early 90's
But I don't think im done yet, mostly due to the amazing amount of ideas and desighns that were flooding the sceen in the 90's.

Still plenty on my wish list :)

Re:

Not me but I don't think I'll ever commit the funds for a few of them, especially a yo Aqua fade. Saying that, I've got hold of a 1993 GT RTS-1 frame that will get m900 over time so I could alway trade in once it's complete.

Apart from the exotica my only real unicorn is a silver/grey 1992/3 clockwork. Cost isn't the issue there but I have not seen one single bike in decent condition since bitd. I look everyday.

Int he last month or so I've intensified my efforts to complete my collection. I've got fair few Dynatechs and M Traxes, but the unicorns I most seek are like hen's teeth in my size (19"): Dynatech Diablos and Dynatech Ogres are all I need to complete my collection now. These are bike that I see from searchinf on here, they used to come up regularly and change hands around 2010-2011, but since then have gone to ground, I assume because they are very precious to their current owners.

The 93 Diablos with their awesome paintwork were the first high end bikes I ever saw, and the ones that really motivated me to save up for something decent.

Since getting back into bikes a couple of yrs ago I've had a few retro's and I've just got hold of a few unicorn bikes in my size L/XL 92 Cannondale M800 92 GT Karakoram and an AMP just need that yeti now oh yeah and I'm skint and been lying to the wife about my obsession thank you retro bike :)

Re:

I have ticked a few of the list but I still have a few to go and a few in the garage to build. The problem is the more I look at this forum the more I find bikes that were unknown to me that I find quite desirable; like British steel bikes such as Yates and Roberts. I think the only thing that could make me stop adding to the collection would be to go cold turkey and never look at a vintage forum or ebay again and we all know that isn't going to happen.:facepalm:

A Mountain Cycles San Andreas please - might be a 'treat' to myself in the new year depending on what I can sell to make room.

Some of the 'unicorns' have turned out to be a load of old tosh with some cheapies blowing them away in terms of out right performance.

I would really like a very early Ritchey - I had the chance of buying one when they were still 3 figures, now they are way into 4 figures and beyond, it is very unlikely.

Latest posts

Back