Quill stem with face plate?

Johnboy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Jog my memory, were there any quill stems from around 1993 that had faceplates or were hinged to allow the fitting of riser handlebars? I'm just trying to keep a bike periodish give or take a couple of years. I know I could go down the route of a quill/ahead stem adapter, but I want to avoid that if I can.

I'm having trouble remembering yesterday, let alone over 20 years ago.

Re:

Syncros did a quill stem with a hinged bar clamp:

bikebits_mar15_0008.jpg

Specialized did one too. My wife's '97 Hardrock AX came with a nice cro-mo tig welded job with a 2 bolt face plate. Face plate was alloy, with a forged "S" logo.

J

If you are after a cheapy, these stems found on carboot/ tip find Raleigh Max are just the right rise and reach

Raleigh-Max-Aero-Yellow-Mountain-Road-Bike-Bicycle-Excellent--20150813090934.jpg

Re:

If you are after a cheapy, these stems found on carboot/ tip find Raleigh Max are just the right rise and reach

I have fallen in love with the Ringle so far I'm afraid, that's just lush, and no doubt very expensive.

Any more suggestions chaps?

Re:

I had something like this many moons ago, only it had a rather snazzy blue top cap.....

Attachments

• amoeba.jpg
    amoeba.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 567
Re:

I had something like this many moons ago, only it had a rather snazzy blue top cap.....

SJS have on or two quill stems with faceplates I see, including one that looks a bit Ringley. Want to keep it period though if poss.

Any more suggestions chaps?

And ladies of course :oops:

Back