Bona fide RAL powder codes for 1990-1994 Yo Eddys?

PeteC

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Been spinning in circles on this question for my 1992 Yo for weeks. It's currently Kandy Wild Cherry but I can't find a paint or powder code for it anywhere online. In fact, the only 2 codes I could find were for the Team Violet (thanks to Rody) and the yellow. I spent a few hours on FatCogs already. No one seems to ever mention the powder or paint codes. The Team Violet won't work well with powder since the proper finish requires a translucent red metallic clear of some sort, which can't be done with powder.

So, does any one have any good matches for any of the early colors, preferably from a powder source? I have a powder guy who is excellent, but I need to tell him what to order.

Re:

I tried to get one of mine matched using the modern RAL palette to team violet but it turned out quite different and not as nice :facepalm: I'm going to get it redone in paint next time.

Re: Re:

M-Power":85p3mkru said:
I tried to get one of mine matched using the modern RAL palette to team violet but it turned out quite different and not as nice :facepalm: I'm going to get it redone in paint next time.

that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid! My powder guy sent me a 'close' match to the Team Violet (westco lavender sparkle) but the finish wouldn't be the same...at all, really.

Re:

I'm sure I read on here before that some of the colours are no longer available due to changes in legislation limiting the ingredients or something. :(

You don't get high VOC Dupont Imron for this application any-more, although it's still available for marine use in a limited palette.

But you can get any colour mixed, you'd be better off with a Pantone book or send a small piece of flaked paint to a bodyshop to match up on their product range.

Re:

I went through this to. I wanted to do the violet on my 1993 Yo, but the powdercoat match wasn't any good. You can get pretty close without the metallic and I have seen a few bikes online that look like they have gone down that road.

I went black ... not hard to paint match that :)

I have a 1990 I want to do up to trade/sell. I may just go white, though I really wanted to do that original lighter metallic blue with yellow lettering like the first Yo Eddys.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'm gonna stick with the original paint. I found a nail polish while shopping with my daughter (had to buy her three for her 'consulting fee') that is a near perfect match, so I'll give that a go. It's not gonna be a show bike and I'm cool with that.

Jimi-looks like we have nearly identical parts spec'ed on our Yo's. :cool:

Back