Whats the best 8 speed shifter

viengsavanh

Senior Retro Guru
Hi
What actually is the best ,i liked the sram esp sl fitted once never touch in years just keeps on working fast snappy

Re:

Sram ESP 9.0sl for me!

All my 8 speed mtbs are running these

Mike

Keep the cables immaculate and the mechanisms free of old grease - they will all go click click click

1:1 actuation will feel snappier

'Shimano Total Integration' was pretty much sorted by 1995 so just about anything from Alivio up works very well.

Thumbies are just indented plates with a teeny tiny ball bearing all kept under load - keep this clean and they will feel like new forever-ver-ver-ver... But they dont make anyone any money.

Downtube levers put onto handlebar mounts are just terrible as they require further movement than a purposely designed thumbshifter.

Sachs Wavey were BRILLIANT!!!

Sram/ Gripshit were not.

Suntour Express shifters were just awful - I dont remember them being 8spd though.

Campagnolo Bullet shift was, erm, interesting

Modern SRAM uses a lot of plastic and can warp easily and is susceptible to bending or breaking under miss shifts

Thias":iemdaa6l said:
Never tried Suntour, but I hate the style of those :roll:
I'm the opposite, I think the XT ones look like their designed for people with arthritis and the
Pros look more integrated on the bars and are a lighter action.
BTW I'm using a set thats been operating Shimano mech's since 1994 and other than greasing the cables
now and again (original cables I'm sure) have never needed adjusting and still function sweet.

Back