Rourke or not a rourke

Retro junkie

Retro Guru
picked up what I think is a rourke mtb frame from my local car boot but it was marked up as a dragon but never heard of them when I cleaned the bottom bracket it revealed only 4 numbers which is a Brian rourke thing if I'm right rear stays are stamped Reynolds but there is no wrap round seat stay or is it not something they did on early mtb frames think it's from around 92

Re:

I know that Dave Hinde (Northwich, Cheshire) built steel and aluminium frames under the name of 'Dragon' throughout the nineties.
The steel ones were really quite nice.

I'm not sure whether they were actually built by Hinde or out sourced.

thanks for your reply as i am from stoke i have been to rourkes to see what they can tell me about this frame they found the frame number in their archives turns out they have a name of matt miller who funnily enough is from northwich but could not tell me anything else about it except its reynolds 853 anyhow ive rubbed it down resprayed it vw transporter red had my mate create me all the rourkie decals in antique gold vinyl nearly finished it now and it looks a million dollars dont think i will be able to part with this one

Re:

I will send the photo's tomorrow as the camera I took them on is a high quality and it says the file is to large and I will have to take them on my phone tomorrow in good daylight.

come on ive put a picture on of the frame not my fault the forum only has a limit of 512mb of frame size and oh yes it definitely happend :p :p :p

Re:

Rare beast.

Jason told me a while ago that he has made loads of MTB's, but you just don't seem to see them about. Maybe they all stay in Stoke or something.

The cable guides are very Rourke, I had identical guides on the 853 frame which I had for a little while. It now lives in Spain.

Easiest way to post pictures is to put them on a site like flickr and then just post a direct link using the Img option.

Re: only one out there

thanks for your reply they seem to be few and far between. was losing patience with this forum i have quite a few retro rides that i want to put on a jamis diablo in quite good condition from 89 thats completely original a specialized rock hopper that was in a right state and has been completely renovated and sprayed vw scirocco green thats now near immaculate also a very early falcon colorado atb that was only used a hand full of times with the u brake under the frame will try and send you some pics if your interested by the way the red rourke in the picture came from a local car boot and was bought for the princely sum of 5 pound talk about right place right time thanks again :p :p :p

Back