Longer 95 Judy Brake Bosses?

34henry3w

Retro Guru
Hi Guys,

I am using a dengler brace on an old Judy. My avid Arch supremes rub against the brace.:(

I could do spacers but is there a way to get longer brake bosses? here is a pic

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 379
Re:

A Judy brce would usually jut out further where the brake boss is. My guess is you are missing the 'spacer with spring holes' from the setup.

Re:

thanks fluffychicken

I am using avid arch supremes which dont need spring holes. and if there was a spacer, the boss wouldnt really thread far enough into the leg..

I have contacted mike dengler and he is looking into a solution!

Re:

file.php

AC built them in
file.php

and

styff didn't but provide the spacers

file.php

If it's just rubbing wouldn't a couple of 1-2mm thick washers space it out far enough?

Re:

It could just be the picture, but is that safely / properly fitted ?

The brake bosses as well as the bolts above hold the brace on to the legs - 4 points of fixing. It doesn't look as if the brake bosses are tighened down against the brace - i.e. the brace is only held on by the bolts above the bosses on each side.

It looks like it needs the right spacer between the brace and the bosses to allow the bosses to clamp the brace on to the fork leg. I am guessing that the boss is tight in the thread because it is done up as far as the thread will allow and not because it is clamping the brace to the leg.

Might be wrong. Just calling it out.

I thought they'd just been lightly screwed in to demonstrate.......... I hope I'm right!

You definitely need a spacer I'd say as all of the braces I've had for Judy forks, standard or after market, all have something that adds distance from the brace, whether in built or extra as per the pics others have posted. Obviously each brace might be slightly thicker/thinner than others but all will have been designed to work with the original boss bolts. I'd try an get a few measurements from others of the total depth of the brace and 'spacer' and as you don't need the holes for the brake springs, try and find something that achieves the right measurements whilst fitting over the bolt. Might a chain ring spacer work?

Back