Klein Paint Costs ?

KDM

Senior Retro Guru
Often we see Klein full repaints and yes they look great but the one thing never mentioned is the cost?

Why would we want to know? Mostly budgeting really, If I see a damaged klein to a point of a full espray then it would be handy to know what to budget in,

So, does anyone who has had Klein paint done, want to share what they had done and how much or is it one of those forever things to remain a secret handshake gang?

I got a quote for a set of judy forks to be done in gator linear fade and it was around the £300 mark a couple of years ago.

Re:

I could do but those would only be guestimates and do not include things from the owners such as strength of paint, durability, different sizes and actual bikes, plus Jon isn't the only one who does Kleins.

It's more about info share than anything else really.

Re:

Absolutely Jons work is outstanding so is etoes however it is not about their individual works that is why in the first post no painter was mentioned.

It is not us vs them but more us better informed

I had the idea for the thread when a recent sea and sky Klein came up in the members section that needed some partial paint repairs and it occured to me considering how often we talk about kleins that we never talk about Klein paint costs

Like I said, more helpful to us certainly if someone is thinking of buying one

I expect you won't get much of a response on this. I suggest a vintage Klein is a bit like a Pianola. A nice Pianola is worth reasonable money, maybe a couple of thousand to the right buyer; if it is working. If all the pneumatic gubbins aren't functioning, they're not worth nearly as much since as that is their uniqueness. Restoring the pneumatic gubbins usually costs more than the resale of a good functional pianola and adds no real value above such.

So, it's big bucks to get a Klein painted up. They still go for a fair bit of coin, even if the paint and weird Klein tech bits - really the major selling points - are a bit ropey.
Mint freshened up ones go for a bit more but I expect not really enough to justify it in resale terms, but probably justifiable for collector's purposes.

I expect a ropey-to-fresh painted attitude (for example) is worth no more than a tidy original attitude - probably less! - and probably cost near as much as a tidy original example to begin with, basically.

iirc, ETOE states in one of his videos that a full paint job, from a to z, takes him several days of labour. At a reasonable 40 euro/hour, that's easily close to 1000 euro just in labour. Add to that a few hundred euro for paint and tools, and I wouldn't be surprised if we're talking 1500 euro for e.g. a full Storm repaint.

I've never asked a quote though, I bought my fuselage NOS (for 1650 euro), fortunately.

I would love to make a full restoration of my sea and sky. But two Things keep me from doint it. Money is ofcasue one of them. But If you repaint a Klein, then I cant really see why one should go for the "original" paint. Its no longer orignal and only appears to be so. It will kind of Loose some of its aura... But that said, I cant say for sure that I would not choose sea & sky for my Attitude if I were to have it painted some time... im really in doubth of this. To sum up: Money is not the only aspect here - even though it is an important one.

Re:

A retro Klein is like a classic Italian sportscar, if you go cheap with the paint or parts then it shows, and you'll most likely run into problems further down the line.
You could pick up a ropey looking Klein frame for cheap, but getting it resprayed and looking resplendent in an original paint scheme will cost you more than the frame cost, easily, but then that can be true for lots of other retro mtb's too.

When renovating a Klein it's best not to focus on the costs too much, of you value your sanity :LOL:

I'd either get a beat up Klein and just get it powdercoated (it'll ride just the same!), or find a Klein with decent original paint, or a recent respray from Jonrock or Etoe.

I take it from your original post you are considering getting a Klein? ;) great riding frames, no matter what paint/powder/colour it is.

Back