What brake/gear cable cutters do you recommend

kalex

Retro Guru
As per title.

i'm not after why don't you use a dremel etc. i'm after what you have used and recommendations as I've tried a few that I presume are for single large dia cables and they have squashed and frayed the cut end. This then looks messy and tricky to put the ferrel on

I have a few methods I like for cable cutting.

For inner cables, it's hard to beat the bypass cutter action of the Shimano or Park tools, but they're spendy. I don't own a pair. Some folding pliers (like Victorinox's) feature bypass cutters that work well when they're new, but cables are hard and wear cutters fairly quickly...

A good set of Bernard style pliers with diagonal cutters work very well for cutting inners. They don't tend to mash/squash the cable and have better mech adv. than do simple pliers. If the cutters are worn, however, they suck like all other diag's.

Alternatively, I'll use my dremel with a fibre reinforced cut-off wheel. I hold the "good" end of the cable right at the cut location with pliers (this prevents fraying), and cut the cable with the wheel. Any minor unwinding can be fixed in a moment with a finger twist.

For outters, I find the dremel impossible to beat, again with a fibre reinforced cutoff wheel. It squashes the housing less than the Park tools I've used in the past. Cut quickly at full speed, dress any burrs, then use an awl to open up the inner liner while its still hot. Allow to cool completely before installing the ferule, or the soft jacket will bind stuff up and be distorted. A dip in cool water speeds this.

J

I used to have the Shimano Cble Cutters BiTD and they where good, cut anything without hassle Inner and outer.
603-2284-main-shimcablecutters-38.jpg

lost them at some point.

Brake cable is the harder to cut as pliers/cutter tend to bend a section inwards or leave a longer section and it is not flat.
So for outers I pretty much use a Dremel with Diamond Cut off disc. I never had as good results with the fibre discs.
$_35.JPG

But inners I find it quicker just to use a large plier
quick for example picture
draper_knipex_pliers_180mm.jpg

Re:

I think that as my wire cutters are well used could be adding to the fraying problem then.

tbh I think a dremel would be the easiest option as I already own one. but after you pointing out the correct wire cutters wear quickly i'm wondering if it's worth getting any. I was just after some reasonable price cutters that would do a good job instead of having to unpack my dremel and fiddle about with the disc then packing it all away again for a 2 min job.

FluffyChicken":2bc6b619 said:
I used to have the Shimano Cble Cutters BiTD and they where good, cut anything without hassle Inner and outer.
603-2284-main-shimcablecutters-38.jpg

lost them at some point.

Brake cable is the harder to cut as pliers/cutter tend to bend a section inwards or leave a longer section and it is not flat.
So for outers I pretty much use a Dremel with Diamond Cut off disc. I never had as good results with the fibre discs.
$_35.JPG

But inners I find it quicker just to use a large plier
quick for example picture
draper_knipex_pliers_180mm.jpg

my pliers are w**k as I tried them on an old inner cable and it didn't even cut all the strands.

think I'll get some new discs for the dremel then

Shimano cutters are great - I have a pair that's probably 15 years old - but I've found you usually have to do a small amount of tidying up for brake outer cables (V-brake) after using them. As another poster has noted they tend to slightly flatten the outer cable after cutting.

The good thing that a little squeeze on the flat section between the bolt and spring of the tool will usually unflatten it.

Very tempted to give a dremel ago next time though.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back