Howdy

Bodecci

Dirt Disciple
I'm new to this forum. My ride is pictured below

It's a Marin Muirwoods from about 1990. I built it from parts when my fave bike shop closed down in '92. Aftermarket fork (steer tube's a bit short) & misc. Shimano running gear. I did buy new wheels from Nashbar then. Their rims built on LX hubs, 7 sp cassette. I set it up with a double chain ring arrangement and the correct size cartridge BB. From then till '96 I commuted 150 miles (I'm on the other side of the pond) per week. This is what I built it for, still perfect for this purpose. I quit riding for ten years and pulled it back out 2 years ago. It's held up well and fits me like a glove. I recently upgraded the brakes to Avid Shorty 4's. Damn good brakes! I plan on repainting it as the other side is badly faded. I'll address the short steer tube by having a machinist buddy trim the head tube a bit, probably about .090 off each end. As it stands I had to sort thru used headsets and run without a keyed spacer to get correct stack height. It works, but...............address when it comes out of the media blaster. That orange/yellow HAS to go.

Re:

Hello and welcome to Retrobike :D

The Orange and Yellow has to stay, its a retro colour scheme in keeping with the bikes age. If you repaint it a dull colour like a dull coloured modern bike you might aswell have a dull modern bike and on here thats just WRONG ;)

Re: Re:

velomaniac":qg6pc7bx said:
Hello and welcome to Retrobike :D

The Orange and Yellow has to stay, its a retro colour scheme in keeping with the bikes age. If you repaint it a dull colour like a dull coloured modern bike you might aswell have a dull modern bike and on here thats just WRONG ;)
It's fugly!! Plus it looks like this one's staying with me. I'm thinking maybe a bright blue/silver in the same type of fade. I have the equipment and the capability.
Or maybe something like I did with this home built geetar.

I demand different!

Thinking about something like this in silver and blue. BTW this Takara literally came outa the trash. Needed a wheel, got one from Wheelmaster, close enough to stock. Added a few parts I had already and got fenders. Good rain bike.
My guess on this one is it was originally sold in the late '80's to early '90's in one of the local Dept stores. Back then, the high end stuff in Dept stores here had SIS and this was so equipped. So I can see the fade paint point made earlier. I have to do something as it's to the point the finish on the Marin isn't providing adequate corrosion protection. Or maybe I'll go red to peach?
Also you can see the seat is missing material on one side. But it's comfortable! Gotta figure out a way to repair it.

Re:

Hello and welcome.

I agree the original paint on that Marin has to STAY!
Not many of them around in that colour combination to my knowledge, so why take away all character it has as it is...?

Hello and welcome

I say paint it as wide as you like, why not it's a Marin not the Mona Lisa!

Have fun, ride it, then buy loads more retro bikes, it's the law

xxnick1975":2lx0mpbw said:
Hello and welcome

I say paint it as wide as you like, why not it's a Marin not the Mona Lisa!

Have fun, ride it, then buy loads more retro bikes, it's the law
I like your attitude!

However I recently saw one on Fleabay with the yellow spatter paint job. It was close to original, asking 399 American. So I can kinda see staying with something close to original. However the stock paint system isn't adequate and started fading after a year in the CA sun. Maybe Corvette yellow and Hugger orange? These are relatively easy to obtain and close enough for the girls I go out with. Decals are available stateside.
I also have to consider the fact that not a single part on it is stock. While there may be some collectability later, the paint on it now stinks!

Mate, $399, what's that? A good dinner for two?

If it was the bike Tom Ritchey gave to Gary Turner, to say sorry the night after he biffed Gaz's sister, fair dues, keep it ORIGINAL.

But it's not. Paint it if you want, guilt free!

Back