New Shimano cables advice needed

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
looking for advice on best way to cable my retro build using NOS/new contemporary stock Shimano cables. Prefer to keep it period correct, so early 90s of course. Not sure on differences in Shimano stock cables so need your help!

Been browsing eBay and seem to be a few bike shops (?) selling SLR brake and SIS gear outers by the metre-length but what about the outer caps - ferrules ? - and how to crimp them on? Am I going to need a fancy Shimano or Park Tool cable cutter tool?

All advice is welcome including tools suggestions and tips or tricks for both brake and gear cabling, and the best "don't-do" advice anyone can give to avoid a mishap is particularly welcomed!

Cheers :)

generally your LBS will be happy to snip your housing lengths for you, once you know where your cuts need to be. And the ferules, if I am not mistaken, simply push onto the end of the housing cables with a snug friction fit (no crimping required).

k-rod":28m8g7dp said:
generally your LBS will be happy to snip your housing lengths for you, once you know where your cuts need to be. And the ferules, if I am not mistaken, simply push onto the end of the housing cables with a snug friction fit (no crimping required).

Sound advice there, thanks. Luckily I have all the original cables so can cut new to exact lengths. A trip to shiny-boingy-29er-land (the LBS) could be on the cards then!

And I don't have a Dremel, but thanks for that tip, too, hatman ;)

The Park CN-10 is worth every penny if you build and maintain your own bikes. It even has a built-in crimp tool for ferrules.
Not fancy, just a good 'buy once for the price of some shop labour' tool.

Re:

Cable hasn't changed much over the years. Pre M900/737 early 90s top end will use 2mm SLR if keeping it authentic.
After that the thinner was used.

If using the thinner just buy the kits, they're not tuned to a perfect lenght but work as fit and leave or just snip with some cutters/pliers and reshape the ends, (file down if you can) and widen the inner sleave sothe cable runs smoothly.
Stick the endncaps on, no need to crimp.

Of course I work out best routes, even know to profile the sis cables to accommodate the bend and getting a flat end still (easiest to bend and cut)
I use a dremel to chop for best results, though some pliers for quick and dirt jobs.

Also a bit of PVA adhesive of silicon or similar when putting some end caps onto seal them there..

Back