Looking for first project?

Danlavis

Retro Newbie
I'm interested in restoring a classic mountain bike, I'd appreciate any suggestions, what bike should I be looking for, rare? Sort after models?

Re:

Welcome to the forum :)

We're going to need a bit more information I think though ;) I think that most of us buy the bikes we owned or wanted to own from back in the day. Is there anything that you particularly wanted or maybe one that was stolen or one you wish you'd never sold?

Re:

I wasn't lucky enough to have anything decent back in the day, I'm a keen mountain biker,I offten see classic bikes/memorabilia on display in trail centres, like the first specialized stump jumper in coed-y-brenin,
I'd like something with a good following or a decent history, just looking for suggestions, cheers

I'd post up in the wanted section and see what offers come in. Try and give a but of information such as size, approx age i.e. 80's, 90's, whether you want a complete bike or just a frameset and also perhaps a preferred material i.e. steel, aluminium. That should be enough info to get a few offers in :)

Re:

Something from a large manufacturer would be ideal for your first build, something like a Specialized would be a good place to start. You don't want to get too hung up on keeping things totally period as this may be difficult and would knock your enthusiasm... keep it simple and enjoy the build.

There will be plenty of time to get all anal and into one off builds and exotica if that's what floats your boat.

Welcome to the forum.

al.

Justo post up here and wait for the offers to come flooding in :)

raidan73":sum3evhq said:
Justo post up here and wait for the offers to come flooding in :)

Give him one of your old snotters, I'm sure he'll make something from it.

al.

Re:

You can get something XT equipped for ~£150 - £200 I'd go big manufacturer in classic steel as a first project. Beware of modifying it to make it ride 'better' which actually means more like a modern bike! Pre-97 bikes with cantis and rudimentary forks are usable every day but reach thier limits on modern man-made trails. Pre-90 is more atb territory and likely to be challenging to ride (good or bad) compared to ones from the early 90s. By the time the late 90s rolls around gears, brakes and suspension work - even full suspension!

I'll be offloading a few Konas soon, a 1993 Kilauea (pukka race bike) head down, arse up totally focused in tarty steel and a 1990 Cinder Cone, which is much more relaxed. Think of Ariel Atom vs Mondeo ST :LOL:

SP

Back