One bike only.

SilverSurfer

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Anyone pared down their stable to just one bike, even if only for a while?

I have several but am thinking that I could quite easily make do with my Karakoram (beshod with full guards, land cruisers and V8s). Very light, comfortable and does pretty much everything I require from a bike these days. Never got on with discs (too heavy and fiddly) so loving the Vs, got no toe overlap and the gear range is great for meandering up steep hills without busting my guts.

I may get the urge to expand again but I'm looking forward to some enforced simplicity, for the time being at least.

Man I'm having the same dilemma. I now have two mountain bikes, a commuter, a vintage road, a pub bike and another rigid build in the making :oops: it just feels wrong as i'm trying to cut back on stuff :facepalm:

Re:

Yes!! I currently have only the FSR fully built up.

And all that's left apart from that is an Explosif frame which is actually now technically someone else's as I swapped it for....something else....

But that frame isn't built up so doesn't count as a bike....

Re:

Having seen your shed I concur, it is impossible for you LGF!

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with a shed full of vintage bikes, I was mightily impressed with it when I saw it. But I lack the time and commitment that you have so I am thinking of the other end of the spectrum.

But I'm sure I will get tempted for an n+1 eventually...

I had the stable down to 1 for a year or two (1993 RM Hammer with m900, RF, syncs, white industry hubs etc). Initially it was somewhat cathartic. But over the course of 4 years or so, it's back up to 7 or 8 depending on what you count. So, it can be done of course. But you might be polling the wrong sample population on here :LOL:

Well that's the point - for us bike fetishists it is interesting to see how we would fare, or indeed have fared, with just one bike.

As an aside it also interesting to see how it correlates to the price. I have spent north of a thousand on a bike and several hundreds on a bike many times before. But the Karakoram was scored for £60 - and is the favourite for being the n bike. I've spent more on tyres in the past!

Yep. There is certainly a weird correlation with price. I spent thousands upon thousands on a DH race bike but didn't miss it a bit when I sold it. Could say the same for at least a few other bikes. I bought my '93 Hammer for $150 in 2005, and slowly but cheaply upgraded it, and I wouldn't sell it for anything.

Re:

Well, I do have one bike in the kitchen. Oh, and one bike in the spare room. Oh, and one bike in the garage. Does that count ?

Back