Brake lever extensions to reach from bar ends

Titiritero

Retro Guru
Hi,

Just bought a nearly mint Trek 930 and came with 2 funny things:

-brake lever extensions, to be able to brake when the hands are on the handlebar, in the then popular anodized purple. I remember them, but never had them in any of my bikes. Will try them for a while to see if I like them. Are those from any known brand?

-extra long bar ends. I knew the short ones, the long ones, etc. but these ones seem to be a little big longer than the "long ones". Not sure what use I can make of the last extra bit on each side. Are they positioned correctly or do I have them the other way around? (the previous owner had them like that but nearly vertical, to have a very upright position). They seem to be from a brand called "Concept USA" that I've never heard about.

Now, some crappy pictures with my mobile:

Attachments

• Trek 930 2.jpg
    Trek 930 2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,270
  • Trek 930 3.jpg
    Trek 930 3.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,271
  • Trek 930 4.jpg
    Trek 930 4.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1,270
I remeber the brake extenders, never had them always wanted.

I'd say the bar ends are on the wrong way, I'd think they'd curlp up at the ends... but thats only my thoughts, not fact.

Re:

greencat":31imjbuh said:
I'd say the bar ends are the wrong way up too.

I thought that too initially, but the little left from the brand logo (not seen in the crappy pictures) suggests otherwise.

I don't think it really matters, you're unlikely to use the very end of the extension anyway.

And I can remember seeing them fitted that way up BITD. Never had a set myself, just stuck with the far shorter ones.

Be aware that those brake extenders have a nasty habit of letting go and falling off when you least want/expect it.

From memory 'Concept USA' was the in-house parts brand of KHS. The brake extender things - remember them and maybe time and beer dulls the memory but I seem to think that Kona made them (?) amongst others. Not sure I would put my trust in them.

I have a set of these bar ends in black on my 1993 Univega. Yours are positioned correctly. Lever extensions? Lucky guy!

Those extensions look a lot like Kalloy/Zoom/Hsien Lung/Tektro aftermarket stuff.

Kona Dr. Dews were the first ones I ever saw:

There were also integrated ones:

All the best,

Attachments

• 114194849-600x400.jpg
    114194849-600x400.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_3848.jpg
    IMG_3848.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 627
  • 2595965154_9e313de679.jpg
    2595965154_9e313de679.jpg