Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:21 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:11 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:30 pm
Posts: 14786
Location: Surrey
I've got a nice set of middleburn cranks but one of the self extractors is very stuck. Anyone know how I can remove it without damaging the arm/thread? I don't care about the extractor/bolt, just the arm.

Currently soaking in a tub of gt85.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:14 pm 
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm
Posts: 22804
Location: 54 Festive Road Winchcombe GLOUCS Yarp...
Cut a slot in it with a dremel, use a coin in slot held by mole grips?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:14 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:36 pm
Posts: 17817
Location: Yorkshire, England
Is it the cheapo Alu ones with two holes in a variety of colours.

Also if you have some propanone/acetone drip that around the threading and let it soak for a bit.
It may have been threadlocked in (they they should).
Goty my syncros ones and a Sugino steel ones out easily after doing that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:26 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:30 pm
Posts: 14786
Location: Surrey
I didn't fit them myself, so can't say but just the two hole jobbies. Still soaking at the mo, the other side came out easily and no threadlock......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:29 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 11:04 am
Posts: 536
Location: manchester
Little bit of heat (hairdryer) a few heat/cold cycles will help break the corrosion adhesion.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:36 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:01 pm
Posts: 4766
mdvineng wrote:
Little bit of heat (hairdryer) a few heat/cold cycles will help break the corrosion adhesion.



Or use a heatgun, that should shift it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:05 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:25 pm
Posts: 2025
Location: It's not easy being a dolphin.
Are the original peg holes chewed up and are you using the right tool? Silly question perhaps, but really they shouldn't be in that tight anyway. I remember mine
were a fairly sloppy fit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:23 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:30 pm
Posts: 14786
Location: Surrey
Holes are a bit chewed up, but have the correct tool (pin pliers, not crap ones). The other side came out easily, this one was hard from the get go and only moved a bit before it moved no further. I've taken it to the lbs who also couldn't budge it, but they did at least say it looked to be straight and the threads would be fine once out. They didn't want to force it but couldn't suggest a way of removal aside from cutting a wedge out and peeling it out. I can't see how that would work with the bolt in situ, and haven't gone down that route yet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:46 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:25 pm
Posts: 2025
Location: It's not easy being a dolphin.
Mmmh. The proper tool (atleast the ones I had) is the Shimano tool for chainring bolts. If the LBS had a go, then I see no option to hack at it. Possibly drill bigger holes and make a beefier peg spanner with nails and a bench vice.

EDIT: After a rummage, Shimano tool ref. is TL-FC21. Made in Japan, so not shit ;-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:25 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:01 pm
Posts: 4766
As an aside we once had a customers bike come in with a properly seized BB in it. Turned out it had been glued in with industrial adhesive ffs. Frame got clamped up with rags to protect, BB cups and tool bolted tight to it with washer and held secure, then a two foot adjustable wrench was fitted, with around 8ft of scaffold pole on the end if that. It was gently teased out with no damage :lol: We never even charged him as it was a fun challenge with the usual caveat, we do this at the customers agreed risk.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], mattr, mynchiboy, TOMAS, VanIsle and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group