my drop off hell

ultrazenith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I ented my first XC race (or XCO as it's now called) today, and it was fun enough, but I got into some difficulty going down a drop off, my fork bottomed and I flew over the bars. Fortunately there was no damage to the Rourke.

I now need to diagnose what the problem is (with the help of people here, who know about such things), because this drop off should have been rideable. To begin by stating the obvious - I need to have my weight further back.

The question, as I see it, is how best to achieve that?

- shorter stem

- dropper post

- riser bar

- different bike altogether

For reference, here's the bike in question:

Attachments

• 20150516_1444201-1024x768.jpg
    20150516_1444201-1024x768.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 822
All the things you suggest will change the riding position. I'd for the 99% of the time when you are for example pedalling normally the setup works for you, you don't need to change it.

My first thought, for a drop off you would be out of the saddle with your ass right back, heave on the bars to raise the front, land rear wheel first and let your knees take the grief. No? How are you wheelie / coasting / manual skills?

I don't think a shorter stem or riser bars would do much to help you unless they give you better control of the front wheel. I think that wider rather than higher bars help me with that bit. Dropper post might but I have never used one so not sure on that one.

Re:

Practice would probably be the answer.

Though given you have a very long seat post and raised the front end a lot. I would say a larger sized bike.

But forks bottoming out means you probably just did it wrong and let the front wheel hit to hard or you need to make them more progressive, probably hard with elastomers, try some air/oil forks.

Any pictures of the drop? The reason I say practice is if the forks compress fully, youight be positioned wrong as you say, so you need to work out how to counter that, be it a lift of the front as you go off, down the drop or just tryiss a rut at the bottom. Might even be to fast (rear end leaves ground and you've not planted it down) or too slow (no confidence).
I am assuming it is too large to 'jump' the drop off

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":3a7plavl said:
Though given you have a very long seat post and raised the front end a lot. I would say a larger sized bike.

That was my immediate thought :?

Depends on the size of the drop off. I cannot jump my bike off one to save my life, but will quite happily slowly drop off something 2-3 feet in height.

In any case you need to get your weight back further and lower, and a long seat post (perhaps set up to help you in the climbs) won't make it easier. I recently got a cheapo dropper post and it certainly adds confidence because you can get all of your weight lower quicker. But certainly isn't absolutely necessary.

Re:

The riding position doesn't seem too extreme to me. But then I haven't seen the drop off. Stiffening up the forks would be a good start I think. Then practice technique on your local trails maybe.
I'm pleased the bike was ok, that's a lovely frameset that I almost treated myself to, when you-know-who was selling it!

Mike

I hate to say it but it looks a bit small.........

How high is the drop off?

Wheelie of the top of the drop off, but only if it's a night your comfy having a go at. Practice drop offs by jumping of curbs and such like then get bigger and bigger. Most cc loops won't have owt massive so find somewhere local and incorporate it into normal riding. If they're really big and scary, get off and walk or follow the leader and do what the guy in front does.......unless they crash. Remember practicl makes perfect but don't be too scared to have a go and learn new skills. :)

Re:

Yeah, don't kick yourself, or the bike. It can happen to anyone, on any trail.

Your riding position looks to be like mine..ass up--head down which, can encourage frontal flops. Apart from that if you havn't done the route before, then you won't know what's coming.

Keep your weight back and carry on!

Back