Manitou Magnum Rebuild Questions

commando

Retro Newbie
Hey Guys,

I picked up a set of 95 or 96 Magnums that were seized and I've got a couple questions now they've been disassembled, this is my first time working with suspension forks.

I found that the reason they weren't moving was due to a black tar-like gunk inside. I've managed to clean most of it out, but it's very stubborn and sticky. Anybody ever seen this happen? Would the usual methods of WD40 or some kind of tar remover work to get the residue out?
Aside from this, the internals appear to be in great shape.

The elastomers and dust seals are in pretty good nick, I may try to run them as is for the time being before getting a rebuild kit. Can I use standard rubber grease to lubricate the internals?

Last question. One of the lower bushing races has come out of the inner leg, looks like they are glued in at the factory. After cleaning the dried glue from the inner leg, would a Loctite bearing retainer compound be sufficient to fit the race back in?

Thanks!

Re:

The busing (clear white plastic clip type things) do come out when you pull them apart. They should just go back when you put them together.

The black gunk is a 'melted'/decomposing elastomers used as various bumpers in the lower section. You'll see them in the instructions. You'll need to find some sort of replacement. Instructions are in the gallery&Archive or just search the web.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":3pbjzebj said:
The busing (clear white plastic clip type things) do come out when you pull them apart. They should just go back when you put them together.

The black gunk is a 'melted'/decomposing elastomers used as various bumpers in the lower section. You'll see them in the instructions. You'll need to find some sort of replacement. Instructions are in the gallery&Archive or just search the web.

Thanks,

So I'm up for a new elastomer kit anyway, not a big deal as the forks were pretty much free. Any tips on getting that tar out of the hard to reach spots like the bottom of the legs?

It's not the bushing that's the problem, it the race they clip into. It appears to be glued in lower leg but one has come out.

Back