favourite retro memories

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
What is everyones top 5 memories from "back in the day"?

Rides, bikes, races etc etc

Re:

For me

Paola Pezzo
Susan de Mattei
Gary Foord
Thomas Frischnecht
Tinker Juarez

Well, I like racing ! :LOL: :roll:

Mike

Re:

My first race was a Cuffley Camp, part of the Marshalls Cycles series. Steve Marshall had a habit of creating tricky courses that took in many natural and man-made obsticles. Spent most of my time pushing / carrying my bike in knee deep mud but loved every minute.

Have I told you about the group ride along the South Down Way when we got caught up in a stampede of cows? :LOL:

Re: Re:

REKIBorter":2w5sels1 said:
Have I told you about the group ride along the South Down Way when we got caught up in a stampede of cows? :LOL:

Sounds like a lit of bull. :facepalm:

Seevehat i did there?

REKIBorter":33ftm1oc said:

I've been on a night ride in the Dean when we scared a herd of deer that broke cover and jumped right into the leading riders in our group knocking them flying, total chaos ensuing

These days you have to watch out for the wild bore :shock:

Retro Spud":1kfyc0mm said:
REKIBorter":1kfyc0mm said:

I've been on a night ride in the Dean when we scared a herd of deer that broke cover and jumped right into the leading riders in our group knocking them flying, total chaos ensuing

You're safe there Nick, History Man isn't allowed out at night any more! :LOL:

I'm not sure on a top 5, but all my best memories were kicking around the Toronto trails in the early 90s as a kid with my buddies. Out running bylaw cops and riding any steep downhill we could find.

Kinda cool I still ride all those same spots and see the old white knuckle drops ... Even better not to see any bylaw cops anymore!

Mike Muz 67":nk5q5pw7 said:
Retro Spud":nk5q5pw7 said:
REKIBorter":nk5q5pw7 said:

You're safe there Nick, History Man isn't allowed out at night any more! :LOL:

Well big fella that's you off someone's ^^^ Christmas card list.... :D

Hmmm...

The first time I did a proper downhill in Scotland on a steep, rutted and violently frozen hillside, on a Hardrock Comp that was two sizes too big for me. I got to the bottom with every part of me aching or frozen and NEEDING to do it again. February 91.

First cycling summer holiday - 91 in the Forest of Dean: the night before the first ride it was full moon and you could see so much laid out in the silver light: trees as far as you could see, the odd fireroad picked out in shadows and a promise of miracles that was delivered over the next 7 days.

Using SPDs for the first time, riding hub deep into the FOD mud and very slowly keeling over shouting "shitshitshitshit..." while my then wife wet herself with mirth.

A cycling holiday to Scotland that was so snowbound that I had to ride 6 miles each way to the nearest shop for supplies in snow that was up to my bb in places.

Goint yo BicycleExpo in 92, checking out all the 93 gear and being so excited it was all I could talk about at work ( Halfords) for the next month.

Those ones stand out, there are more but that's what springs to mind now.

Re:

That's a tough one, these spring to mind though.

1 My first race at Blandford Forum Dorset, Surftracks, I came 6th in the novice group of around 250 riders after 2 days of heats and a final, 1989 I think it was.

2 Racing at Mycycles Malvern Hills Classic 90, really hot weekend, great bikes to droll over, all your heroes there from the magazines!, plus the lake jumping and team Hot Pies!

3 After saving and saving finally going to buy my first real mountain bike, an '89 Giant Super Sierra.

4 Hitting 45 MPH coming down Butser Hill, near Petersfield, Hampshire.

5 Doing the deal with the Canadian student who was studying at Portsmouth Uni to buy his 91 Klein Attitude from him before he moved back home, in '93, I still have it.

Back