Couple of derailleur questions

Kell

Retro Guru
As I put together a build sheet for my P7, I'd be interested in finding out model names for the parts.

In particular the two derailleurs.

I'm pretty sure these were all fitted to the bike from new, so 94/95 ish.

file.php

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the front when I took it off, so the only shot I have is this:

file.php

the model names of each Shimano derailleur is stamped on the inside of one of the unit's cage-plates (frnt) or activating arms (rear).

Re:

Moved this to the correct section for you :)

Based on them being new in 94/95......

The rear mech will be either an RD-M900 or RD-M910 (the M910 was released in 1995). In the pic it looks like it's a long cage, which would make it an M910.

The front mech is an FD-M737

Re:

As mentioned that is an M900/M910 rear mech, it's actually got the standard medium cage so harder to tell. Jockey wheel is worn though and check it all for play.
It's stamped on it though, but M910 has a large normal looking spring through the middle, M900 has a peg style spring. But we cannot see from here. There are subtle ways to tell from that picture but not worth the hassle mentioning
Pretty sure it's an M900 though.
have a read here froma an old post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176451&start=10

The front could at a glance be M737 or M738, again there is a difference to tell them apart but it stamped on it as well.

Re:

I remember the front mech 'noticable' difference as I was about to close, it M737.
It'a all in the cable bolt swing arm. (what ever that bit it called)

Re:

Another question.

When the front dérailleur is off the bike, should you be able to move it?

I.e. Should it flex? Because this doesn't.

The spring of a front derailleur is quite stiff, but if you support the derailleur body well with the palm of your hand and torque liberally but smoothly on the activation arm ... you'll find that it will, in fact, move the mechanism nicely.

Re:

Hmmmm. I thought there should be some movement.

Looks like a thorough clean and grease is in order then.

Back