Wheel question

Kell

Retro Guru
My old P7 has now been stripped down.

Just need to remove the headset and it will be ready for cleaning and researching the parts needed to get it back to its former glory.

However.

I'm pretty sure that in 4 house moves and the addition of five other bikes to the fold, that the original wheels have been lost.

I have some wheels in the shed which may, or may not, be them.

But I also have some questions.

Pretty sure this bike was a 7-speed. I say 'pretty sure' as alongside the missing wheels and cassette, the original X-ray shifters are kaput.

I binned them at the weekend, but stupidly didn't check to see how many gears it had.

So, assuming that I find the wheels and they are 7-speed, and they're still vaguely round, then all is good as I've just bought some shifters.

If they not the wheels or are more egg shaped than I hoped, what can I replace them with?

I thought it would be dead easy to find 26", rim brake, 7 speed wheels, but a quick search is throwing up a lot of 8-speed ones.

Can I buy 8-speed hubs and use a 7-speed cassette? Does it need spacers to set it up right?

I definitely have some Hope hubs on Mavic (something) rims that came with my 2000 P7. Would these be definitely too wide?

I only ask as they're now effectively 'spare' as the rims were so buckled I took them off my 2000 P7 and replaced them with some Mavic Crossrides at the same time as swapping the rim brakes to disc brakes.

If they'd fit, it would be worth using these as a starting point and getting them rebuilt/trued.

Thanks in advance.

(I knew there was a reason why it's taken me three years from last time I said I'd do this. Still, I've got further than I did that time. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=225842)

Re:

If it came with x rays then I`d say its 8 speed.If you still want to run 7 speed an 8 speed hub will take the 7 speed cassette.You need a 4.5mm spacer that goes on first,make sure that the spacer has notches that clear the rivets on the back of the cassette.

Latest posts

Back