Seatpost binder...thingy...

Max in Montreal

Dirt Disciple
purchased an aluminum frame off ebay. came without the seatpost binder. never seen this type. frame has a little piece loose and when you tighten the binder it presses against the seat tube... what is the name/type of this?

it is a research dynamics coyote alu 5

dsc-5733.jpg

Some sort of a wedge lock system?
Syncros and Pace stems used to have this, the bolt pulls the wedge onto the diameter of the steerer, very important to coat all the surfaces with some sort of anti seize (both my pace and syncros stems needed severe violence to unlock them from the steerer!)

But not too much anti seize, or they slip..........

another option would be to make a slit in the seat tube in the front and put a normal collar on there...but if i can i would rather not...

Re:

Dont cut slit, there is very little tube past the weld so i reckon you will truggle getting the clamp to hold the post.

There is some form of wedge and once you find photo of one, shouldnt be too hard to make.

The mechanism?

It's usually called a bolt.............

Take it apart and get some pictures. Should give a few clues.

In fact, it looks like that QR lever is actually pulling on both sides of the wedge mechanism, the central piece is sitting in a recess on the image we can see up there. I bet it looks similar on the other side.

Undoing the QR, removing it, then giving the seat pin a tap and a twist *might* free it all off so you can get the wedges out to have a look.

Re:

Ok wait a second... i may have not explained my situation properly...that is the frame i have...but the picture is someone else's frame. The wedge is there...its the quick release i need...

Re:

Wont a 5 mm or 6 mm qr fit?

If i were designung such a thing, the wedges would be cone shaped , the narrower ends invoard with a hole down the centre, the hole diameter being one of thr two standard sizes mentined.

Is it thag simpme? Can you post photo of the wedges.

Back