Raleigh Lizard

joshdcooke

Retro Newbie
Love em or hate em. I've just bought one! Got it off a bloke that buys bikes from an auction at clitheroe and sorts them out to sell on. All the parts look original but it's in good nick. I want to use the bike around town but also want it to survive if things get a bit bumpy. The first things I'm thinking are new tyres/wheels as the steel frames won't stand much and I want new brakes as the li chis aren't great. What do you all advise to a newbie. I don't want to break the bank either as this is just a hack I'm using to save a bit of money and get fit. Cheers in advance.

Visit Halfords or ebay and get a pair of basic aluminium alloy wheels with a screw on freewheel, that way you'll replace likewise tech but with better braking and reduced weight. A set of modern cartridge pad canti brakes can also be had cheap that'll improve braking and ease maintenance. Then a pair of better tyres and jobs a good un. That wee lot should improve things no end and won't break the bank.
You can of course throw loads of moolah at it but a Raleigh Lizard will still be a sows ear not a silk purse so best just improve cheaply as I have suggested.

Re:

You can pick up cheaper set of wheels complete with tyres here cheaper than halfords sell rims - if you search and are patient.

Back