What does 'S-Works' mean in real terms??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
If a Specialized has got a S-Works monica, what's the difference between that model and the one below it...? Team frame? Made in USA frame? Just a ploy 'cos it sounds cool...?

Well.... My knowledge stems from the M2 days, so I'll speak to that.

The Stumpjumper M2 FS was built with straight-gauge M2 MMC tubing. Only the seat tube was butted (externally)

The S-works version was built with butted M2 MMC tubing, machined head tube and BB shell.

Beyond that, the equipment spec would tend to be higher, but that was the crux of the difference. A lighter, butted frame.

Both were, in M2 times, hand made in USA, at Anodizing Inc.

J

As far as I know, S Works was Spesh's equivalent of Lexus to Toyota. Hand made in USA etc. All good stuff. How's the bike now?

doctorstewie":2ci9iq0c said:
As far as I know, S Works was Spesh's equivalent of Lexus to Toyota. Hand made in USA etc. All good stuff. How's the bike now?

Filthy still :LOL:

Working on the theory that the mud should just brush off now it's dry. A job for tomorrow. Can't believe there was nothing to change or adjust after that ride, it was a bit harsh as a trial run :shock:

Re:

Specialized being a bit geeky, used the S-works moniker on the top range equipment and bikes, as a parody of the Lockheed/Martin 'Skunk Works' division who developed aircraft such as the stealth bomber and fighter.

Back