Helmets!

Gaddmeister

Retrobike Rider
I have to say I was out walking the woofer with the family today along the canal and was quite frankly shocked at the amount of folk on their modern high specced bikes riding without a helmet! I know bitd we used to curse this minority folk, but now seem to have become the majority! I know as everyone says modern bikes ride the best, but if they are supposedly faster should there not be more need for a skid lid or are modern bikes now safe too?

I was at Bedgebury last week, a man made trail centre with lots of lovely opportunities to really hurt yourself and saw exactly the same thing, £4000's worth of bike and no helmet. Plonker!!!!

Agreed. Having fallen hard enough to crack a Giro Xar and had my face saved by the visor (3 months before my wedding) I can't get over any fool riding without one.

Went out as soon as I could and bought another Xar. Haven't tested it yet ... Yet.

I haven't seen 2 people on the trial this year without a lid. The Toronto streets are packed with morons though.

Re:

I got hit by a car in London when I was a student back in '95. I went flying over the bonnet and landed on my head! The helmet split in half but I walked away. Had I have not been wearing one, I wouldn't have written this post today!

Re:

I'll be honest and tell you I never bothered with a helmet when I ived in the UK. I'd grown up not wearing one - it seemed normal. :facepalm:

Here in Australia wearing a cycle helmet is a legal requirement. I bought a full face Giro Remedy - which I was grateful for when I slammed into the dirt ... really hard ... face first a couple of years ago.

God bless Aussie cycle laws! :D

Re:

I don't wear one. Perhaps I should though. Earlier on this year a car passed me so closely that the wing mirror brushed my arm. I wasn't too far out either. I tend to hug the roadside as much as I can, to let the traffic pass as easily as possible.

ZOMG you're going to DIE horrifically, won't someone think of the children!!!!111¿!!!11oneone1

Actually you won't, not yet anyway. Just thought I should jump on the bandwagon.

Back