how to remove knackered old sealed bb

kalex

Retro Guru
the bb was the last thing i needed to remove from my old trek zx7800.

i put the removal tool in and soon as i started to try and undo the none drive side the whole cup (teeth part) where the tool goes into disintegrated.

it's the original bb so it's not just a few years worth of muck etc so it's well stuck.

i'm left with the cup not being budged and no teeth for my tool to sit in

what can i do now

Re:

Have you removed the other side?

And are you quite certain the non drive side is made of metal? Quite a few of the cartridge bottom bracket non-drive cups were plastic.

If plastic either melt out or use a good scalpel/ hacksaw blade to cut the cup across and remove. Be very careful not to damage the frames threads.

Re:

I'd try loosening and removing the unit from the drive side, with a crank bolt through the tool to prevent it slipping.

Re:

I've never removed a sealed cartridge bb and I just presumed this would be metal. ( I also never clean my bikes and I've had this trek for 20 years. so I couldn't actually see the surface finish ) which after breaking the cup teeth shocked me as both of you said correctly it was plastic and very brittle.

I don't mind hacking at it now.

don't all these sealed bb's undo on the none drive side first in an anticlockwise direction

Perfectly fine to remove from drive side first. The non-drive cup essentially just supports the cartridge unit.

Re: Re:

bikey :)":wpowov3f said:
I'd try loosening and removing the unit from the drive side, with a crank bolt through the tool to prevent it slipping.

I'll also try this method, but it'll be after the weekend now.

Re: Re:

kalex":2i16uhx6 said:
don't all these sealed bb's undo on the none drive side first in an anticlockwise direction

Frame is threaded left on the right and right on the left. drive side is considered right.

Back