Any cheap saves for quadras?

dablk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Got a Kona U'I build going on. it still has the tatty quadras 5's.

My dillema is i know i can stick bombers on for peanuts.. however I'm half tempted to try and do this as cheap and low end as it was orginally intended. Its just a bounce around the park type of bike.

So the quadras. yes they were junk. the elastomers have snapped a 1/3 of the way down. My though was to cut the good bit off. and try and pack the rest. i dont care about the bounce really. I'm not forking out £40 quid for a kronos spring kit. Needs to be a cheap solution. if i get serious with the bike i will swap in some bombers.

any done any cheap bodges?
cheers
Chris

Re:

Amazon Polyurethane Rod. Cheap, fairly stiff but you don't care and cone in all diameter (yellow ones).
(Check but 18mm?)

Cheaper than second hand springs.

Cheers Fluffy,

perfect attempted solution..

under £6 deliverd for for 18mm x 20" which gives me enough to try both as a part/part with the old "good" elastomers and also as a single new piece.

will see how it goes.

cheers
chris

If it doesn't work I have some springs and packers from a Judy that may fit. Would be postage only but may need your max diameter details incase they are too chunky.

Thank you Mini,
Will bear them in mind. I cant see why Fluffys method shouldtn work in some form.

Chris

Re:

if its a clean "snap" just place a plastic washer between the two pieces of similar width to fork internal dia , even cheaper :)

Hi Slim,
its unfotunately a diagonal on both. good news is i managed to get the lot apart. Aside from a broken preload, which i can adjust the lengths of the new parts to compenaste. the rest looks useable.

judy butter.. more like judy concrete!

I have been a complete penis...

when i picked up the kona U'i it came with a load of tat.. marz mz3 on it. original but knackered quadras. and some rattle canned "manitou"'s with a steerer too short..

As i knew the latter where no use. I was about to karma them so started googling them to work out the model..

they aint fecking manitous

but some form of long travel judy/indy. It donest matter as i doint care.

here is why...

1 pair of perfect elstomers!!!

So i now have
4 tunning options.. ignoring the judy legs and tubes as i cant get them apart
1. quadras back the way they where intended.
2. quadras with judy top end spring stack and the rest of the good bit of the knackered elstomers to adjust for the length.
3+4 above but with the new poly rod when it gets here.

Re:

They are INDY not JUDY and that is a type II system. Both are 1" legs iirc so more parts might be compatible.

Would you know the travel?

i dont wanna put 100mm on the Kona. However if its less then i might give the indy's another crack at seperating them and trying seeing if i can switch the legs and steerer over.

either way we are now rocking and rolling ;)

Back