why did 1.25" never take off?

scottproonly":1qkx9i5t said:
Hi. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything.why did 1.25" headsets never take off?
Thanks
Kes

Good question and one I'd love to know the answer to

I'm guessing threes a crowd, and 1.125 could do everything anyway
On an Aluminum it sort of makes sense but on steel do you actually need the added size and weight penalty it brings

Bigger fork steerer
Bigger headset
Bigger Quill or ahead stem

One thing that can't be beaten is the industrial look, I've four bike with them and they look so much more on proportion than a uber skinny inch offering

mkozaczek":v4tti2a5 said:
Well, it sort of did... in that 1.5" is now a standard for most DH/Trail bikes

Bio Pace has also come back, but both disappeared for along time

:D

Re:

It was almost universal amongst early 90s aluminium frames.I had one in 92.I`d say when manufacturers started to add gussets around headtubes and developing their frames they realised that 1 1/4" was unnecessary.One thing I didnt understand were people that spent big on 1 1/4 stems(Atac/Syncros etc) instead of getting 1 1/8 and using a shim.I remember a glut of cheap high end 1 1/4 stems by the mid to late 90s when the size was as good as obsolete.

Re: Re:

66 triumph daytona":1suywhet said:
Aheadset wasnt an option.Threaded headsets and quill stems back then.

My Manitou FS has an aheadset on period Manitou Forks
and that's 1993, so they were on full production

The one that came off was a Dia Compe before I found a nice King one to replace it

Re:

Aheadsets started to appear in 1991 and into market as a 1992 item. That is only shortly after the OverSize and Evolution sizes had come to market.

They where predominately 1 1/8" as Tioga (or whoever) had brought out the OS OverSize setup (1 1/8") and then adopted aheadsets.
Both being large OEM/OEM resllers compared to Fisher and the Evolution 1 1/4" it will have just rail roaded it with the larger manufactures looking for a single size for their range.

That is my take on if anyway.

Re:

Aheadsets were available but werent the norm from my (somewhat vague)recollection,I saw them trickling in from 1993 on and were the norm in 96.Pre 93 I only really saw them on pricey bikes.Anyhow,I wonder if 1 1/4" was primarily a reaction to the "oversize everything" fashion in the late 80s-early 90s?Aheadsets definitely also made the exotic quill stems obsolete overnight.I bought 2 Atacs for £40,still have one somewhere.

Back