Avid 1v-brake problem

jaypee

Senior Retro Guru
I can't seem to set these up properly. It's an Avid SD-1.9L. The spring won't reach the hole so there's no tension. I've cleaned it all up thoroughly but the part of the spring that protrudes us really short, despite the spring appearing to be exactly where it's meant to be. Not only is the protruding part short but the caliper doesn't quite meet the end of the braze on bit so there's a gap. I'm at a loss to see how to make it work. Pics to follow in a minute.

The spring in the bottom picture is slightly out of place but that's not the problem - it happens when it's all correct too.

These brakes came on this bike and worked, and they are original so it must be something I'm doing wrong

Re:

Hiya.
Looks like the type of brake where you turn the nut at the rear (the 4-sided alloy thing) to dial in spring tension before tightening up the bolt at the front to lock it all down. This type of brake does not use the holes on the brake boss.

I'm sure 1D's aren't those types and do need to be placed "in the hole".

Is it happening on both front and rear bosses or just one set?

Re:

Can you take a photo of the brakes removed from the bike showing the spring tab

Re:

If you undo the cable and just have the brakes attached, is there tension? They should sit naturally away from the rim and when you try to push them against the rim, you should feel tension. What have you had apart? Complete brakes and cables? Have you removed the V's?

If it's like the later ones (Avid 25 for example) then the spring tip does not fit into the braze-on. Instead there is a short pin (approx 5mm long) with a shoulder which engages in the brake pivot body and the braze-on. They are often a bit loose and fall out easily on removal of the brake arm.

Re:

I am looking at this and can't help but thinking that the springs are on back to front , or maybe on the wrong sides, something just does not look right :? :?

Re:

I had a set of those and the lack of adjustment screw confused me at first. The spring doesn't use the holes on the brake boss at all.

Fit the brake arm, tighten the nut at the front, then turn the square nut at the back with a wheel cone spanner to adjust the outward tension and balance the brakes.

It's a bit less precise and a bit more of a faff than brakes that use a little adjustment screw, but I found that once they were set up, they tended to stay set up and worked well enough.

Re:

Thanks all, I did think maybe Bikey was on to something because the square alloy bit was new to me and it moves independently of the rest of the caliper. What Xerxes says makes sense of it. Will report back and (if it still doesn't work) take pics of the parts off the bike.

Back