Retro Bike as main squeeze?

gusman2x

Dirt Disciple
I'm sure this has been asked before so I'll apologise up front.

How many are riding 80s/90s bikes as their main off road bike? I am planning to get back into riding after a 15 year break, and will be riding my 90s clockwork. Went out for a blast (more of a trundle) yesterday and it felt good. But I was speaking to a mate, and he said that once you've ridden a modern bike, then old bikes just don't cut the mustard.

So, do I need to stay well clear of new bikes for fear of scratching my rose tinted glasses?

Yea. I only ride old bikes.

And I am glad I am not "spoiled" by modern bikes. Cos its so much ceaper. And as long as I am having fun - why should change it? The now modern bikes will get old in a few years. I'm sure I will try them. Then.

Right now I am exploring the wonders of rear suspension from the mid to end nineties. Tried a GT RTS -> crap. Klein Manra -> great with a more modern 2005ish shocks. Currently I am riding my Ibis Szazbo. Great ride also. Building up a GT LTS Thermo at the moment to try early 4-link suspension some time next year.
Always come back to my old hardtails to ground myself back every now and then...

I think by trying out all those different designs I will be able to appreciate the improvements that had been made. And differer real improvements from marketing...

Yep, my main mountain bike is a retro. I love it. I will be getting a slightly more modern version soon, but even then it's going to be 12 years old ( but will have hydraulic discs and a better shock ) New bikes are brilliant, so are old ones. I'm having a whale of a time on my old full susser, and I am sure I will on my slightly newer one. I will get a modern equivalent when I can afford it, because they are objectively better, but it won't stop me riding my old bikes.
( And I have a few nice chats about it out on the trails too )

I am currently, and things have come back to me somewhat, but it really is hugely limiting for me at least. The climbs are great!

Re:

The bike I ride as often as I can is over ten years old, but not as a conscious choice; it just happens to hit all the right buttons. I can't see anything newer being radically different in terms of a light steel hardtail, frame wise.

My only bike is the Roberts. I've had that over 23 years and was out on the trails only yesterday.
I do find the lack of suspension a bit hard work when the ground is so dry and hard, but I'm not about to replace it after all this time and I do like being the odd one out with an old boneshaker.

A fun fact is I'm still using the Paris Dakar rims and hubs that I put on it from new - and I don't think they've been serviced in all that time...
Having said that, the front does need a little true-up.

Re:

My newest bike is a 99 Marin full sus the oldest is a 90 Karakoram. I read all of them regularly.

My only bike is my '95 Stumpjumper M2FS. I ride weekly on group rides with my daughter, and most weekends in the woods near my home.

It's coming towards time for a new pair of rims, the old 238's about worn thru. I'll build some 317's or similar onto the old hubs. Due for a new granny ring, chain and cogset in the next year or so.... Maybe I can get another 20 years outta her.

J

Back