Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Got some creaking Ritchey Logic cranks on my retro race bike, and was wondering what you folk do to stop it.
Grease or copaslip the bb axle or not? Same with bolts holding them on? The chainrings are tight, as is the bb.
Any help/advice appreciated

Thanks,

Mike

I always make sure the cranks and axles are clean and bone dry, if there's any grease from the BB around it gets wiped off and even finish with some Iso-alcohol. Crank bolts usually get a dab of thread-lock, if I'm using tarty alloy SRP type bolts I always run a pair of steel bolts in first to make sure they're pushed all the way home with a fair amount of welly before the alloy ones go in and risk damaging them.

Re:

It's definitely the cranks.

Put pressure on them. Then turn 180 degrees, put pressure on, and CREAK! Not a lot, but would become annoying over the course of a ride

Re: Re:

shinobi":1tnae1md said:
Hi Mike
Have you tried another chainset just to eliminate anything else ?
Paul

No I haven't Paul. I have hardly ridden the bike since swapping bb and cranks.

legrandefromage":1tnae1md said:
If they are 'ticking' they need torquing up, that's the sound of loose cranks

Cheers mate, always slightly apprehensive about this, as I don't want to bugger up the threads. Do you use a torque wrench? I'm not winding you up! I just tighten to how it feels, if that make sense. :facepalm: :roll:

Mike

Re:

The only reason i ask and not wishing to spread doom n gloom is that the last creak i could not seem to get rid of was a hairline crack in a weld :shock:
Paul

Re: Re:

shinobi":2r2sncyl said:
Oh and at work tomorrow if you want a torque wrench :D
Paul

:LOL: :LOL:

Thanks, but this will be my first Saturday off in a month, but I may pop around in the week ;)
So, to grease or not to grease? That is the copaslip question?

Mike

Back