Desert Island Tools ( sort of )

doctorstewie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all,
Apart from the absolute essentials, ie Allen keys, screwdrivers, tyre levers, pump, and various size spanners and sockets, oh and a maintenance stand of some sort, what's the tool that you either use the most, or completely depend on?
Oh and what's your favourite non cycle specific tool?

I seem to be changing a lot of cassettes around at the moment, and I can't clean a back wheel without taking them off so a freehub remover would be mine right now.
As for non bike specific, I reckon a dremel or dremel-a-like would be at the top of the list. Polishing, grinding, getting rid of surface rust, let alone all the stuff it gets used for off bikes.

So what are yours?

Regarding cycling tools I'd have to say cable/outer cutters - something very satisfying about trimming cable and outers very precisely :)

My favourite non-cycling specific tool is the fork. Does that count?

"Oh and what's your favourite non cycle specific tool?"
This bad boy over here... I won't even attempt to use hand force to remove Bottom brackets anymore (since I started using this). Will get out even the most stubborn BB out paired with a Park Tool BB tool. Electric impact drivers for the win.

Attachments

• 55682_2663-22-lg.jpg
    55682_2663-22-lg.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 604
Re:

An impact driver. I concur! Absolutely the best tool I have! Got a bottom bracket that spend 25 years in a corroded frame? Don't waste your time and knuckles on leverage, oil and swearing. Use this tool and it comes out with a smile. But use earplugs though...

"But use earplugs though..." +1 on that, I almost gave my wife a heart-attack when I used it at home on the balcony with the door open (now she gets a warning and I close the doors, neighbors must love it). Pretty damn close to machine-gun fire.
But the convenience! No more stripped BB cups.

doctorstewie":3uyeu1xn said:
:shock: :shock: I WANT an impact driver.
THM: Please tell me the nail clippers are for something really esoteric :)

Have you ever walked through a traditional Japanese garden? Looking at the shapes of the delicate petals on the flowers and maples?

Back